Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to remove CH3I

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    We are designing containment filtered venting system EUF. Everything is smooth except removing CH3I. We have tried a lot of methods including using Na2S2O3(Sodium Thiosulfate).We designed a venturi tube and it was located under sodium thiosulfate solution. When CH3I goes trough the equipment,it should be romoved.But our experiment shows the effectiveness is very low.t seems not work. Can anyone tell me some information about this expriment,espercially the experiment condition?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2
    I'm not a chemist and this is a physics forum, but have you tried adding a strong oxidant such as ozone to first break up the methyl group, so the thiosulphate could then take care of the iodine?

CH3I in the atmosphere tends to interact with and get broken down by naturally occurring ozone (http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e780/iodcycle.htm [Broken]). I imagine though that this wouldn't work well in a hydrogen-rich atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 22, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your help. Our system is a part of a bigger system and the other designing has been finished(by another institute).We are required to use Sodium Thiosulfate or the whole designing needs to te changed. all experiments need to be made again.It is the last thing we want to see. Besides, the system won't be started except under accident condition.As a result, if we use ozone,we need a big container to storage ozone and the cost as well as difficulties will be out of our affording ability. But is there any substance with the ability to react with Sodium Thiosulfate that can dissolve in water ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook