How to rigorously motivate the following formula

• Thread starter Kurret
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, there is a formula that has been encountered in a physics context multiple times, which states that the integral of (1/t)e^(-tx) from 0 to infinity is equal to -log(x). However, there are issues with this formula, as the t integral diverges and there is no explanation for this. A possible solution is to use a regularization of the integral, but this is not always explained and sometimes the integral is written as being from 0^+ instead of 0. From a mathematical standpoint, this formula does not seem correct. Another formula, which uses a sum, an additional integral, and a function K, also does not seem to have any relation to the previous formula. Despite these discrepancies,
Kurret
I have encountered the following formula a couple of times (always in a physics context, of course..)
[itex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-tx}=-\log x[/itex]
Formally one can "derive" this formula by noting that
[itex]\log x=\int \frac{dx}{x}=\int dx \int_0^\infty dte^{-xt}=-\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-xt}[/itex]
But the t integral obviously diverges. So there must be some regularization of this integral but this is never explained (and sometimes they write that the integral is from ##0^+## instead of 0, whatever that means).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From a mathematical point of view, this doesn't look right. [itex]logx=\int_1^x \frac{du}{u}[/itex]. Therefore the final integral should be:
[itex]-\int_0^{\infty} \frac {dt}{t}(e^{-xt}-e^{-t})[/itex], which is convergent.

Kurret said:
I have encountered the following formula a couple of times (always in a physics context, of course..)
[itex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-tx}=-\log x[/itex]

Set ##x = 1## and you get:

[itex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-t}=0[/itex]

Which can't be right.

In any case, the LHS is positive and the RHS is negative for ##x > 1##.

mathman said:
From a mathematical point of view, this doesn't look right. [itex]logx=\int_1^x \frac{du}{u}[/itex]. Therefore the final integral should be:
[itex]-\int_0^{\infty} \frac {dt}{t}(e^{-xt}-e^{-t})[/itex], which is convergent.
PeroK said:
Set ##x = 1## and you get:

[itex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-t}=0[/itex]

Which can't be right.

In any case, the LHS is positive and the RHS is negative for ##x > 1##.
I agree with everything you are saying, but this is a formula I see quite often but I never understand what it means due to these issues. Just to throw in an example, look at page 5 before equation 1.11 of the following paper
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0804.1773v1.pdf

I don't see the relation between the formula that uses a sum, an additional integral, some function K and other things but no exponential, and your function (which has been shown to be wrong).

Kurret said:
How to rigorously motivate the following formula
Try offering it pizza. Always works for me :smile:

mfb said:
I don't see the relation between the formula that uses a sum, an additional integral, some function K and other things but no exponential, and your function (which has been shown to be wrong).
The additional sum is the only difference. Just substitute the equation just before to get rid of the inner three dimensional integral.

mfb said:
and your function (which has been shown to be wrong).
I am not making this up, I have seen this divergent integral popping up several times without any comments about the obvious fact that it is wrong...

Related to How to rigorously motivate the following formula

1. How can I motivate myself to understand and apply this formula?

Motivation can be achieved by setting clear goals and breaking down the formula into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try to relate the formula to real-life examples and understand its practical applications. Additionally, seeking help from a mentor or teacher can provide guidance and motivation in understanding the formula.

2. What are some strategies to stay motivated while working with this formula?

One strategy is to regularly review and practice using the formula, as repetition can help solidify understanding and maintain motivation. Setting a schedule and breaking down the formula into smaller, achievable tasks can also help in staying motivated. Seeking support from peers or joining study groups can also provide motivation and accountability.

3. How can I motivate myself to continue using this formula even when faced with challenges?

Acknowledging and embracing challenges as opportunities for growth can help in maintaining motivation. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the benefits and relevance of the formula in achieving your goals. Seeking support and guidance from others can also provide motivation and help in overcoming challenges.

4. Are there any tips for staying motivated when using this formula for a long period of time?

Breaking down the formula into smaller, more manageable parts can help in staying motivated over a long period of time. Additionally, setting realistic and achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, and seeking support from others can also provide motivation and help in sustaining it.

5. How can I motivate others to understand and use this formula consistently?

To motivate others, it is important to clearly communicate the importance and relevance of the formula in achieving their goals. Providing support and resources, such as practice problems and study materials, can also help in motivating others. Additionally, leading by example and showing genuine enthusiasm for the formula can inspire others to stay motivated and consistently use it.