How to round a number[double] to 4 decimal places

• Thread starter sunilkamadolli
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help with rounding a number to 4 decimal places in a Java program. They have tried using the math function's round function, dividing by .0001 and rounding, and multiplying by 1000 before rounding, but none of these methods have worked. They request assistance from anyone, including non-Java programmers, and provide a link to a webpage with code for reference.
sunilkamadolli
hey everybody, i was writing a java program and i could not figure out how to round a number[double] to 4 decimal places...i tried a lot of things

the math function's round function rounds the double to one decimal place so that does not work.

i tried various algorithms like dividing by .0001 and then rounded it and stored it into an integer and then divided the integer by 1000...still not working

please help me out...even non-java programmers can help by telling me the algorithm...thank u.

Computer science news on Phys.org
sunilkamadolli said:
i tried various algorithms like dividing by .0001 and then rounded it and stored it into an integer and then divided the integer by 1000...still not working

Divide by 10000..

yeah its kinda crazy. what you have to do is multiply that number by 1000, do the round function and then divide by 1000

1. How do I round a number to 4 decimal places?

To round a number to 4 decimal places, you can use the toFixed() method in JavaScript or the round() function in most programming languages. These methods allow you to specify the number of decimal places you want to round to.

2. Can I round a number to 4 decimal places in a calculator?

Yes, most calculators have a built-in function for rounding numbers to a specified number of decimal places. Look for a "round" or "decimal" button on your calculator.

3. What is the purpose of rounding to 4 decimal places?

Rounding to 4 decimal places is commonly used in scientific and financial calculations to improve readability and accuracy. It also helps to avoid errors that can occur when dealing with long decimal numbers.

4. How do I round a number to 4 decimal places in Excel?

In Excel, you can use the ROUND() function to round a number to a specified number of decimal places. Simply enter the number you want to round, followed by a comma, and then the number of decimal places you want to round to.

5. What happens to the digits after the 4th decimal place when rounding?

When rounding a number to 4 decimal places, the digits after the 4th decimal place are either dropped or rounded up. For example, if you have the number 3.14159265, rounding to 4 decimal places would give you 3.1416, with the 5 being rounded up to a 6.