How to setting up a web server ?

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server Web
In summary, to set up a web server, you will need to install Apache, PHP, and MySQL. To make your domain name point to your server, you can use a control panel like CPanel or Plesk. Alternatively, you can register your domain with a company like GoDaddy or Dotster and set up the nameservers to point to your server's IP address. To host subdomains, you can use DNS and create an "Alias" record. Another option is to use a web server's Host Headers to route the content. To manage multiple domains, you can use a service like ZoneEdit, which allows you to manage up to 5 domains for free. You will also need to find out your WAN IP address
ngkamsengpeter
How to setting up a web server ?I have installed apache , php, mysql but how to make my domain name point to my server . And how can I configure apache so that it can host multiple domains and also subdomains?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, your best bet is to install a control panel like CPanel or Plesk, which will configure all the domains and apache for you.

You need to use DNS to have a domain name point to your server. You don't need to host your own DNS server though if you don't want to. The easiest alternative is to find a company like GoDaddy or Dotster, register a domain with them. In order for it to redirect to your site you have to give Dotster or Godaddy or whomever (called the registrar) your nameservers. The nameservers are DNS servers which take queries on a domain name, like www.yahoo.com and return an IP, like 172.56.23.10.
The process then is the following, for having www.mydomain.com point to your server.
- find out your server's IP
- register www.mydomain.com with a registrar
- set up the nameservers which will contain a DNS entry translating www.mydomain.com into your IP
- go to the registrar's page and set the name servers to be the ones you set up above
- wait up to 24 hours for DNS records throughout the internet to update

Obviously the tricky part involves the nameservers. but there's a really easy solution. For example, you can use http://www.zoneedit.com
ZoneEdit will freely host your DNS entries in their nameservers, so you don't have to set up your own. Basically just create an account with them, they'll guide you through the process, it's simple. I've used them before with perfect service and uptime.

In order to host subdomains, like blog.mydomain.com you also use DNS. You create a DNS entry called an "Alias". You can do this in ZoneEdit as well, very quickly. It has a form where you type in the subdomain and the IP address (which again should be the same as your server's) which creates the Alias record. Obviously then you'll have www.mydomain.com and blog.domain.com point to the same IP, thus the same server, hence the same page. Well, not necessarily. In web servers like IIS and Apache you use Host Headers to "route" this content. Basically when you create a website, under IIS for example, it allows you to specify a Host Header, such as blog.mydomain.com. Then you set that site's root folder to be the one where your blog is, and you're all set.

Last edited:
The best way is to register with ZoneEdit (http://www.zoneedit.com) , and I believe you will have the option to manage upto 5 domains for free.

Then, find out your WAN IP address (http://www.whatismyip.com) . Check with your ISP weather its a static or a dynamic IP address. If its static, you just saved yourself a few more extra steps, but its not that hard if its dynamic aswell.

If your IP address is dynamic, you will require a dynamic IP address updater for Zoneedit. They have quite a few listed on one of their pages.

I would recommend you visit DSLWebServer (http://dslwebserver.com) . Its the perfect site to help anyone set up their own home web server.

If you need any specific help, do ask,

Ayman

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a web server and why is it needed?

A web server is a computer software that stores, processes, and delivers web pages to clients over the internet. It is needed to host a website and make it accessible to users.

2. What are the steps to setting up a web server?

The steps to setting up a web server include:

• Choose a web server software, such as Apache or Nginx.
  • Install the necessary software and dependencies.
  • Configure the server software, including setting up domain names and security measures.
  • Upload website files to the server.
  • Test and troubleshoot any issues.

3. What are the minimum requirements for a web server?

The minimum requirements for a web server depend on the specific software being used, but generally include a stable internet connection, a computer with sufficient processing power and memory, and a server operating system.

4. Can I set up a web server on my personal computer?

Yes, it is possible to set up a web server on a personal computer, but it may not be recommended for hosting a website that will have a high volume of traffic. It is important to ensure that your computer has the necessary resources and security measures in place before hosting a website.

5. What are some common security measures for a web server?

Some common security measures for a web server include:

• Setting up a firewall to block unauthorized access to the server.
  • Regularly updating the server software and operating system.
  • Using strong passwords and limiting access to the server.
  • Implementing SSL encryption to protect sensitive data.
  • Regularly backing up website files and data.