How to Show f(x) is Close to L Using Epsilon-Delta Proof

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
John O' Meara
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Generate the graph of f(x)=x^3-4x+5 with a graphing utility. And use the graph to find delta such that |f(x)-2|<.05 if 0<|x-1|<delta [Hint show that the inequality |f(x)-2| < .05 can be rewritten 1.95 < x^3-4x+5 < 2.05, then estimate the values of x for which f(x)=1.95 and f(x)=2.05]. Now I can do the graphing parts and I can correctly estimate the values of x, but I cannot do the "show that the inequality |f(x)-2|<.05 can be rewritten etc." Can anyone show me how to do it as I have started studying a University maths book on my own. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
|f(x) - L| < e means that f(x) is in (L - e, L + e) which means that L - e < f(x) < L + e. Also, I'm not sure why the text asks you to use a graphing utility since it's maybe instructive once or twice to see an epsilon-delta proof done with an explicit (numerical) epsilon to get a feel what is meant by "closeness" of f(x) to L or whatever.