Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to shut off Led on buck converter

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    I am using a buck converter with a battery pack, for a usb charger. The issue is, is that the buck converter I have ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Converte...150117?hash=item3cc69bffe5:g:Q3UAAMXQTT9R0Qos ) has a led on it, which slowly drains the battery, so it loses its energy in about a day, without any load on the usb port, because of the led.

My question is, what can I do to stop this? Thank you so much for all of your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Disconnect the buck converter if you don't use it?

If the LED is not a relevant part of the converter (as those converters use a diode, it might be), it might be possible to simply remove it, or replace it by a better diode. I don't know the circuit they use...
    Are you sure it is the LED?

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    well, it is a really small red light, that looks alot like a square led, with that circular diode in the middle of it, I cannot afford switches at the moment, and was hoping if someone could confirm or deny me being able to remove it, or burn it with something.

5. Apr 23, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A circuit plan would help.

6. Apr 23, 2016 #5
    I could find none, in the past few hours of searching, I will take your advice and put a switch in. Thanks for your time, I appreciate the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted