How to simplyfy a square root term? Phonon dispersion relati

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying an equation involving angular frequency, mass, charge, and distance. The person is having trouble simplifying it and is seeking help. They have shared their progress so far and the given answer, which involves using the binomial theorem to remove the square root and factor in a 1/2 term.
rwooduk
I'm having trouble simplyfying this, I guess there's a trick but for the life of me can't remember what it is. Here is what I have so far:

##\omega ^{2} = f\left ( \frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M} \right )-f(( \frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M} \right ))^{2} - \frac{4q^{2} a^{2}}{mM})^{\frac{1}{2}}##

so I divide through by

##(\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M}) ##

to give

##\frac{\omega ^{2}}{\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M}} = f-f (\frac{4q^{2} a^{2}}{mM}(\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M})^{-2})^{\frac{1}{2}}##

but now what? how would i simplyfy this further? here is the answer we have been given:

BTIWt5B.jpg

as you can see the square root has gone and there's a factor of 1/2 now inside the bracket, unclear of how he's simplyfied the square root term.

here's the complete question in line with forums rules:

PhanXsz.jpg

thanks in advance for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
doesnt matter I am pretty sure he's used binomial theorem, mods please feel free to delete!

1. How do I simplify a square root term?

To simplify a square root term, you need to identify any perfect square factors inside the radical and take their square root. Then, you can multiply any remaining numbers outside the radical. If there are no perfect square factors inside the radical, then the square root term is already in its simplest form.

2. What is a perfect square factor?

A perfect square factor is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives a whole number. For example, 4 is a perfect square factor because 4 x 4 = 16. In a square root term, a perfect square factor can be taken out of the radical and simplified.

3. Can you give an example of simplifying a square root term?

Sure, let's take the square root of 50. First, we identify any perfect square factors inside the radical. In this case, 25 is a perfect square factor. So we can write the square root of 50 as the square root of 25 times the square root of 2. The square root of 25 is 5, so our simplified term is 5√2.

4. How do I simplify a square root term with variables?

To simplify a square root term with variables, you follow the same process as simplifying a regular square root term. Identify any perfect square factors inside the radical and take their square root. Then, multiply any remaining numbers and variables outside the radical. If there are no perfect square factors inside the radical, then the square root term is already in its simplest form.

5. What is the purpose of simplifying a square root term?

Simplifying a square root term makes it easier to work with in mathematical operations. It also helps to identify any common factors between terms and can make the expression look more neat and organized.