1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to simplyfy a square root term? Phonon dispersion relati

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    I'm having trouble simplyfying this, I guess there's a trick but for the life of me cant remember what it is. Here is what I have so far:

##\omega ^{2} = f\left ( \frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M} \right )-f(( \frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M} \right ))^{2} - \frac{4q^{2} a^{2}}{mM})^{\frac{1}{2}}##

so I divide through by

##(\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M}) ##

to give

##\frac{\omega ^{2}}{\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M}} = f-f (\frac{4q^{2} a^{2}}{mM}(\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{M})^{-2})^{\frac{1}{2}}##

but now what? how would i simplyfy this further? here is the answer we have been given:

BTIWt5B.jpg

as you can see the square root has gone and there's a factor of 1/2 now inside the bracket, unclear of how he's simplyfied the square root term.

here's the complete question in line with forums rules:

PhanXsz.jpg

thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    doesnt matter im pretty sure he's used binomial theorem, mods please feel free to delete!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook