1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve 12sinx-1.8cosx=10 without a graphing calculator?

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    I tried squaring both sides but can't seem to simplify it. Any ideas on how this can be solved?

Thanks!

Edit: For those who are interested, I have attached the question that has prompted me to solve this system of equations.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both sinx and cosx can be expressed by tan(x/2)

[tex]\sin(x)=\frac{2\tan(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}[/tex]

[tex]\cos(x)=\frac{1-\tan^2(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}[/tex]

With these substitutions, you get a quadratic equation for tan(x/2).

ehild

4. Jan 24, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When you have a combination like ##A \sin\theta + B \cos\theta##, a useful trick is to write
    $$A \sin\theta + B \cos\theta = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left(\frac{A}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}} \sin\theta + \frac{B}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos\theta\right)$$Now identify
    \begin{align*}
    \cos\phi &= \frac{A}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}} \\
    \sin\phi &= \frac{B}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
    \end{align*}then you have
    $$A \sin\theta + B \cos\theta = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}(\cos\phi \sin\theta + \sin\phi\cos\theta) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\sin(\theta+\phi)$$where ##\tan\phi = B/A##.

In this particular problem, if you move the factor of 4 kN over to the righthand side, you have
    $$3 \sin \theta - 0.45 \cos \theta = 2.5$$and ##\tan\phi = -0.45/3##, from which you should recognize ɸ as being the angle the line connecting A to the point where the force acts makes with the horizontal.

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What system of equations.

I see none.

6. Jan 24, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is in the title. 12sinx-1.8cosx=10:smile:

ehild

7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks e . :smile:

Any important information in the title should also appear in the body of the message.

Also, OP refers to "... this system of equations".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook