Not sure how to solve this problem without graphing

• Thread starter IntegralDerivative
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the LambertW function can be used to approximate the solution to the equation x=0 when y>0.529, as long as the derivative of 2y-2 is greater than 1.
IntegralDerivative

Homework Statement

Find the solution(s) when: 4+x = 4(2)^x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know how to solve this problem using graphing. I'm not sure how to do it algebraically. Please help.

upload_2017-5-16_0-48-52.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you use the fact that,$$2^x=e^{xln\left (2\right )}$$
and expand the exponential.

Likes IntegralDerivative
Some problems do not have a nice easy algebraic solution. The (0,4) is easy enough to guess and also verify.

Likes IntegralDerivative
IntegralDerivative said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I only know how to solve this problem using graphing. I'm not sure how to do it algebraically. Please help.

View attachment 203610

As scottdave has indicated, some problems do no have nice solutions, and this is one of them. However, some have not-so-nice solutions, as does this one:
$$x = 0 \; \text{or} \; x = -4 - \frac{1}{\ln 2} \text{LambertW} \left( -\frac{1}{4} \ln 2 \right) \doteq -3.690093068 $$
Here, LambertW is a non-elementary function that does not have an explicit, finite formula, but has known series expansions and can be approximated numerically to as much accuracy as you want. You will not find it in a spreadsheet, but it is available in computer algebra systems such as Maple and Mathematica.

Likes IntegralDerivative and Buffu
Ray Vickson said:
As scottdave has indicated, some problems do no have nice solutions, and this is one of them. However, some have not-so-nice solutions, as does this one:
$$x = 0 \; \text{or} \; x = -4 - \frac{1}{\ln 2} \text{LambertW} \left( -\frac{1}{4} \ln 2 \right) \doteq -3.690093068 $$
Here, LambertW is a non-elementary function that does not have an explicit, finite formula, but has known series expansions and can be approximated numerically to as much accuracy as you want. You will not find it in a spreadsheet, but it is available in computer algebra systems such as Maple and Mathematica.

Can "Lambert W function" give ##x= 0## as the solution ? without guessing ?

Likes IntegralDerivative
IntegralDerivative said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

View attachment 203610
You can apply some numerical methods. One is an iterative method (http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/NewtonsMethod.aspx)
You should write the equation to be solved in the form x=f(x). It works in the domain where |f '(x)|<1
The problem becomes very simple if you switch to the variable y = 2+x. The equation becomes y=2y-2. It converges quite fast for y<0.
Substitute some initial value for y, you get the next value, y1. Substitute y1, you get the next approximation, y2.
Continue till |yn+1-yn| are close enough.
Starting from y= 0, we get -1, -1.5, -1.646, -1.680, -1.688, -1.689, -1.690...which corresponds to x=-3.690.
The derivative of 2y-2= 2ylog(2) is greater then 1 for y>0.529. To get the other root (y=2), an other iterative function is needed: y=log(y+2)/log(2).

Last edited:
Likes scottdave and IntegralDerivative
Buffu said:
Can "Lambert W function" give ##x= 0## as the solution ? without guessing ?

Yes. The other solution given by Maple is
$$x = -4 = \frac{1}{\ln 2} \text{LambertW}\left( -1, -\frac{1}{4} \ln 2 \right), $$
where ##\text{LambertW}(-1,z)## is one of the non-analytical branches of the Lambert function, chosen so that it is real-valued on the real interval ##(-e^{-1}+i 0, 0 + i 0)## in the complex ##z##-plane. It is not easy to see, but Maple evaluates this as ##x = 0## exactly. Of course, a person would see ##x=0## right away, without use of any advanced tools.

Likes IntegralDerivative
Wow thank you so much guys. :)

The article in lamar.edu posted by @IntegralDerivative is a nice one, explaining numerical methods.

Likes IntegralDerivative
scottdave said:
The article in lamar.edu posted by @IntegralDerivative is a nice one, explaining numerical methods.
Actually that was posted by my friend, @ehild .

SammyS said:
Actually that was posted by my friend, @ehild .
Thank you friend:smile:

1. How do I approach a problem without graphing?

There are several strategies you can use when approaching a problem without graphing. One approach is to identify and apply relevant equations or formulas. Another approach is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You could also try using visual aids, such as diagrams or tables, to help you understand the problem.

2. What if I don't know which equations or formulas to use?

If you're not sure which equations or formulas to use, try working backwards from the end goal of the problem. Think about the units of measurement involved and see if there are any equations or relationships between those units. You can also consult a textbook or ask a colleague for guidance.

3. How can I check my work without graphing?

One way to check your work without graphing is to use estimation. This involves making a rough, but reasonable, approximation of the answer and comparing it to your actual answer. Another method is to use dimensional analysis, where you check that the units of measurement in your calculations make sense.

4. What if my solution doesn't make sense?

If your solution doesn't make sense, it's important to go back and review your work. Check your calculations and make sure you applied the correct equations or formulas. If you're still stuck, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a colleague or teacher.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills without relying on graphing?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills without relying on graphing is to practice regularly. The more problems you solve, the more familiar you'll become with different problem-solving techniques. You could also try working with a study group or seeking out online resources for additional practice and guidance.