How to solve an ODE to find its solution

• I
  • Thread starter Hector Triana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, according to @Delta2, the integrating factor for the first ODE is ##\frac{1}{(b^2*(b^2-2)*y*(x*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)-y^2))}##and the second ODE is ##\frac{1}{(b^4*y*(x*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)+y^2))}##
Hector Triana
Salutations, I have a problem when I approach this ODE:

$$\left(\frac{y}{y'}\right)^2+y^2=b^2\left(x-\frac{y}{y'}\right)^2$$

I have done a series of steps as I show in this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ht4xxUlm7vXqg4S5-wirKwm7vTESU3mU/view?usp=sharing
But I'm not convinced that those were the correct steps neither solutions were adequated, and my question is:
How would be the mathematical steps to apply to find the correct solution of the ODE?

So, I would like any guidance or starting steps or explanations to find the solution of this interesting problem.
Thanks for your attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well this seems like a hard non linear ODE. I tried it at wolfram and the solution seems quite complex and it is given in implicit (perplexed form) ##G(y,x)=0##

I can comment only on one of your result, the ##y=kx## simply does not verify the ODE, cause in the left hand side we get ##x^2(k^2+1)## while in the right hand side we get 0.

You can check the solution of wolfram here https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+ODE+(y/y')^2+y^2=b^2(x-(y/y'))^2 but you can't see the step by step solution unless you are a subscribed user at wolfram.

Thanks for your commentary @Delta2 about wolfram it's true, I'm not premium user, but thanks for it, indeed, y=kx is not solution, thanks for the link again.

Likes Delta2
y=kx is a solution if k=+/-i. In other words, y = i*x or y = -i*x are solutions.

phyzguy said:
y=kx is a solution if k=+/-i. In other words, y = i*x or y = -i*x are solutions.
That is true, however in his/her workings he writes ##y=kx, k\in\mathbb{R}##, and i also thought we are interested for real valued functions y.

Delta2 said:
That is true, however in his/her workings he writes ##y=kx, k\in\mathbb{R}##, and i also thought we are interested for real valued functions y.

Sorry, I missed that.

Likes Delta2
Hi, your ode splits into two odes:
##y' = \frac{(y*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)-b^2*x*y)}{(y^2-b^2*x^2)}##
##y' = -\frac{(y*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)+b^2*x*y)}{(y^2-b^2*x^2)}##
an integrating factor for the first one is
##\frac{1}{(b^2*(b^2-2)*y*(x*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)-y^2))}##
and the second one is
##\frac{1}{(b^4*y*(x*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)+y^2))}##

When trying to find the solution from this integrating factor, I couldn't get it to simplify to something readable...
I only managed to find the integrating factor by assuming that the ODE has a generalized rational point symmetry using Lie's symmetry method.

1. How do I determine the order of an ODE?

The order of an ODE is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, an ODE with only a first derivative term is considered a first-order ODE.

2. What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

An initial value problem involves finding the solution of an ODE at a specific initial point, while a boundary value problem involves finding the solution at multiple points within a given interval.

3. What are the steps to solve an ODE using the method of separation of variables?

The method of separation of variables involves separating the dependent and independent variables, integrating both sides, and solving for the constant of integration to find the general solution. The initial or boundary conditions can then be used to find the particular solution.

4. Can an ODE have more than one solution?

Yes, an ODE can have infinitely many solutions. However, the initial or boundary conditions are used to find the specific solution that satisfies the given conditions.

5. Are there any numerical methods for solving ODEs?

Yes, there are several numerical methods for solving ODEs, such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the shooting method. These methods are useful for solving ODEs that do not have a closed-form solution or are difficult to solve analytically.