How to solve equations of the form (a*x+b)^(1/2)+(m*x+n)^(1/2)=c

• Thread starter Storm Butler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for x in an equation that involves square roots. The suggested method is to square both sides and then move all terms without square roots to one side before squaring again. This allows for solving the equation and then checking the validity of the roots. The participants also express feeling silly for not considering this method earlier.
Storm Butler
Hello,
I was wondering how you would go about solving for x in an equation like [itex]\sqrt{ax+b}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{mx+n}[/itex]=C (where a,b,m, and n are constant numbers). The problem is if you square the expression you just end up with some linear terms multiplied by terms to the power of 1/2. If you keep squaring you never get rid of them. So how do you go about solving something like this?

Thanks for any help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(a*x+b)^(1/2)+(m*x+n)^(1/2)=c
(a*x+b)+(m*x+n)+2*[(a*x+b)*(m*x+n)]^(1/2)=c²
2*[(a*x+b)*(m*x+n)]^(1/2)=c² -(a*x+b)-(m*x+n)
4*(a*x+b)*(m*x+n)=[c² -(a*x+b)-(m*x+n)]²
Expand and solve (...)*x²+(...)*x+(...)=0
Then bring back the roots x into the first equation in order to check if each root is valid or not.

After squaring both sides, move all the terms without square root on one side and leave the square root alone on the other side (of the equal sign). Then square again.

Thank you. I just kept trying to simplify the left hand after squaring, i didnt even think about moving everything over. I feel kind of silly now.

Storm Butler said:
Thank you. I just kept trying to simplify the left hand after squaring, i didnt even think about moving everything over. I feel kind of silly now.
Welcome to the club!

1. What are the steps to solve equations of the form (a*x+b)1/2+(m*x+n)1/2=c?

The steps to solve equations of this form are as follows:

1. Isolate one of the square root terms on one side of the equation by subtracting the other term from both sides.
  2. Square both sides of the equation to eliminate the remaining square root term.
  3. Re-arrange the equation to get it in the form ax + b = c.
  4. Divide both sides of the equation by a to isolate x.
  5. Subtract b/a from both sides to get the final solution for x.

2. Can equations of this form have more than one solution?

Yes, equations of this form can have more than one solution. This is because when squaring both sides, the resulting equation may have more than one solution that satisfies the original equation.

3. How do I know if a given value is a solution to the equation (a*x+b)1/2+(m*x+n)1/2=c?

To check if a given value is a solution, simply substitute it into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then it is a solution. If not, then it is not a solution.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of a, b, m, n, and c in these types of equations?

Yes, there are some restrictions. The values of a and m cannot be equal to 0, as this would result in dividing by 0. Additionally, the values of a and m cannot be negative, as this would result in taking the square root of a negative number, which is not a real number.

5. Can I solve equations of this form using the quadratic formula?

No, the quadratic formula is used specifically for equations of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0. Equations of the form (a*x+b)1/2+(m*x+n)1/2=c cannot be solved using the quadratic formula as they are not in the correct form.