1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve equations of the form (a*x+b)^(1/2)+(m*x+n)^(1/2)=c

1. Jul 12, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I was wondering how you would go about solving for x in an equation like [itex]\sqrt{ax+b}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{mx+n}[/itex]=C (where a,b,m, and n are constant numbers). The problem is if you square the expression you just end up with some linear terms multiplied by terms to the power of 1/2. If you keep squaring you never get rid of them. So how do you go about solving something like this?

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2012 #2
    (a*x+b)^(1/2)+(m*x+n)^(1/2)=c
    (a*x+b)+(m*x+n)+2*[(a*x+b)*(m*x+n)]^(1/2)=c²
    2*[(a*x+b)*(m*x+n)]^(1/2)=c² -(a*x+b)-(m*x+n)
    4*(a*x+b)*(m*x+n)=[c² -(a*x+b)-(m*x+n)]²
    Expand and solve (...)*x²+(...)*x+(...)=0
    Then bring back the roots x into the first equation in order to check if each root is valid or not.

4. Jul 12, 2012 #3
    After squaring both sides, move all the terms without square root on one side and leave the square root alone on the other side (of the equal sign). Then square again.

5. Jul 12, 2012 #4
    Thank you. I just kept trying to simplify the left hand after squaring, i didnt even think about moving everything over. I feel kind of silly now.

6. Jul 13, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Welcome to the club!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook