Solve Complex Equation: Finding a and b from Known c and d

• Thread starter commander22
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the equation (a+bi)/(-a+bi)=c+di for a and b, multiply by the complex conjugate of the denominator and expand to equate real and imaginary parts. This can be used to solve for c and d if a and b are known, but it is not possible to go in the opposite direction and solve for a and b if c and d are known.
commander22
I am wondering if it is possible to solve an equation like this

(a+bi)/(-a+bi)=c+di

for a and b assuming that I know c and d

essentially c and d are just the real and imaginary components of a complex number

a and b are the real and imaginary components of a different complex number

the denominator on the left hand side is the opposite of the complex conjugate

for example if I know a and b

(4+2*1i)/(-4+2*1i) then I can solve for c and d easily be just doing division = -0.6000 - 0.8000i

I am not sure how to go in the opposite direction though, as in I know c and d, how to get a and b? Let me know if anyone has any thoughts thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator gives
[tex]\frac{a+bi}{-a+bi}\frac{(-a-bi)}{(-a-bi)}=\frac{-(a+bi)^{2}}{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/tex]
if we then expand and equate real and imaginary parts we get
[tex]\frac{-a^{2}+b^{2}}{a^{2}+b^{2}}=c[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-2ab}{a^{2}+b^{2}}=d[/tex]

excellent thanks

Related to Solve Complex Equation: Finding a and b from Known c and d

1. How do I solve a basic algebraic equation?

To solve a basic algebraic equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation by performing the same operation on both sides. This can include addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for it using basic arithmetic.

2. What do I do with fractions when solving an equation?

To solve an equation with fractions, you must first get rid of any denominators by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common multiple (LCM) of all the denominators. This will allow you to work with whole numbers and simplify the equation.

3. How do I handle exponents when solving an equation?

To solve an equation with exponents, you must use the properties of exponents to simplify the equation. This can include combining like terms, using the power rule, or taking the square root of both sides. Remember to follow the order of operations and work from left to right.

4. What if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, you must first combine like terms on one side and then move all the variables to one side by performing inverse operations. Once the variables are on one side, you can solve for the variable using the methods mentioned above.

5. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, simply plug the solution back into the original equation and see if it results in a true statement. If it does, then your solution is correct. If not, double check your work and try again.