Starting a Math Club in High School: How Do I Get People to Join?

• Thread starter swimmergirl
  • Start date
In summary, the student is a freshman in high school and wants to start a math club, but is worried about getting enough people to join. They are considering talking to a counselor or finding a teacher to help them with the club. Other suggestions include reaching out to neighboring schools, offering tutoring as a sideline, and starting a game club with a math focus. The student is encouraged to take the initiative and make the club happen, and to find a teacher with enough time to oversee it.
swimmergirl
I'm a freshman in high school and there is no math club at my high school. I made it to state for MathCounts 7th and 8th grade so I wanted to continue competitive math competitions in high school. So I don't know where to start! I know I want to compete in AMC 10 and 12 and Mandelbrot. So how do I get people to join? My school is DEFINITELY not the type for math. It's more like rich, popular kids that think math club is for "nerds", etc. So I'm worried no one is going to show up.

And should I talk to a counselor first or find a teacher first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey swimmergirl and welcome to the forums.

The first thing is that I wouldn't worry too much if you don't get a turnout straight away.

You could probably ask your mathematics teachers for advice regarding on how to setup the club and for any recommendations they might have. Also speak about your intentions with the mathematics competititions to see what suggestions they have. They may know professors, camps, or existing communities for juniors like you that you can use to think about how to structure your own club or even to join them if they aren't that far geographically.

The other thing as an option, is to consider looking to neighbouring schools in your region and see if you can form a math club for that region. This is always a good thing to keep in mind if you don't get a good turnout locally for your only school.

Sounds like a good project to do (i.e. starting a club). You'll get a lot of experience working with people and you should be proud of starting something and see it become what it becomes.

A suggestion may be to offer tutoring as a sideline for your club, this will create a relationship with students who think your nerds.

Thank you so for the encouragement! It made me feel a WHOLE lot better. I just feel like I have to get a teacher that'll conduct the meetings because I mean I can't teach them or anything.. So yeah. But do you guys know if I should talk to a counselor or find a teacher first? Thanks!

Talking to an enthusiastic teacher might be a good way to start. Do you see deficiencies in the way math is taught in your school? A teacher who gives a darn might help you start a club. We got a newly-minted HS math teacher in my 11th grade, and he came up with a brand-new advanced math course before our senior year started (for just 5 IIR students).

Many teachers love to teach and explain (vs indoctrinate), so you might get an ally that way.

Good luck.

turbo said:
Talking to an enthusiastic teacher might be a good way to start. Do you see deficiencies in the way math is taught in your school? A teacher who gives a darn might help you start a club. We got a newly-minted HS math teacher in my 11th grade, and he came up with a brand-new advanced math course before our senior year started (for just 5 IIR students).

Many teachers love to teach and explain (vs indoctrinate), so you might get an ally that way.

Good luck.

I really want to find a teacher except I only know 1 and that's my current teacher right now. And she has 2 little girls so I know she won't be able to do it. How do I find a teacher taht would want to do it?

swimmergirl said:
I really want to find a teacher except I only know 1 and that's my current teacher right now. And she has 2 little girls so I know she won't be able to do it. How do I find a teacher taht would want to do it?
A teacher with a very young family (and responsibilities to them) may not be able to guide you, but might be able to offer you advice. Take what you can get, and talk to other math students. Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it. :tongue:

If you want a math club, take the initiative and make it happen. Once it gets rolling, other students and their parents should support you. With public support for a public school system, surely your district will allot space and time for you and your like-minded math clubbers to hang out for 1/2 hour every few days after class. What do you need? Access to a white-board and a few markers, or a blackboard and some chalk? The district should see this as a no-brainer.

Math club doesn't sound to hard to start I like the suggestion of a homework helper type club idea someone had. Your going to have to find a teacher with enough extra time to watch over that will probably be your biggest challenge. I would suggest trying to start a game club that has a math based focus as you'll get more people to join if it's "FUN" for everyone lol.

Also it doesn't have to be an actual club you could just try to find some really nerdy kids and ask them if they want to hang out and talk about math ect. If your not sure who to talk to or whatever you could try to put up something on a wall in a math classroom or something.

1. What is a math club?

A math club is a group of individuals who have a shared interest in mathematics. It is a space for students to come together and engage in fun and challenging math-related activities.

2. How do I start a math club?

The first step in starting a math club is to find a group of interested individuals. This can be done by reaching out to fellow students, teachers, or by posting flyers around your school. Once you have a group, you can then determine meeting times, activities, and elect leaders.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to start a math club?

While having a strong background in math can be beneficial, it is not necessary to start a math club. The purpose of a math club is to foster an interest in math and provide a space for individuals to learn and grow, regardless of their current math knowledge.

4. What activities can I do in a math club?

There are many activities that can be done in a math club, such as solving puzzles, playing math games, hosting math competitions, or even organizing guest speakers to discuss different areas of math. The possibilities are endless and can be tailored to the interests of your group.

5. How can I ensure the success of my math club?

To ensure the success of your math club, it is important to have a clear vision and goals for the club, establish a consistent meeting schedule, and actively engage members in planning and organizing activities. It is also important to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members.