1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to start Differential equation

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    Mod note: Thread moved from technical math section. The OP has already been notified that this is not a suitable start to a request for homework help.
    can anyone teach me how to start it? i really have no idea.. PART A

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2
    You don't need to solve that equation for the two problems
    The first problem amounts to finding a stationary point while the second requires you to implicitly differentiate that expression with respect to time.

Just a hint for i), the staionary point may only exist in a certain limit.

4. Mar 23, 2014 #3
    can you show the full working for part i please? i'd been thinking of this question for the whole day yet still cant get the ans

5. Mar 23, 2014 #4
    Here

Edit: In the last step I just plugged the value of x (which had to be done via a limit since it was positive infinty) back into the original expression for the answer

Attached Files:

6. Mar 23, 2014 #5
    Note to self: I should really learn LaTeX

7. Mar 23, 2014 #6
    if i do this way then how should i proceed ? note: i want to find x first , then sub the value of x which i get into the eqaution 1... after arranging the terms, i would get ln 0 ... then i cant find the value of x ...

Attached Files:

8. Mar 23, 2014 #7
    At the last step, you need to realize that the only way for the left hand side to equal zero is when x tends to positive infinity.

9. Mar 23, 2014 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted