Is f(a,b) = 2^(a-1)(2b-1) a Bijective Function?

• Thread starter The Captain
  • Start date
In summary: Suppose you're given the positive integers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and you're asked to find (a,b) so that f(a,b) is 12. You could easily do it by counting up from 1, then doubling the number you counted, and adding 1 to that.
The Captain

Homework Statement

Define f: Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ by
f(a,b) = 2^(a-1)(2b-1) for all a,b in Z+
where Z+ is the set of all positive integers,
and X is the Cartesian product

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we assume (a,b) as ordered pairs and write them as follows:

(1,1) (1,2) (1,3) (1,4)...(a,b+n)
(2,1) (2,2) (2,3) (2,4)...(a+1,b+n)
(a+n,b)........(a+n,b+n)

Using diagonal processing, we deduce that f is one-one.

Now can we also assume it is onto because f(a,b) maps to exactly one ordered pair?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Captain said:

Homework Statement

Define f: Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ by
f(a,b) = 2^(a-1)(2b-1) for all a,b in Z+
where Z+ is the set of all positive integers,
and X is the Cartesian product

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to start this.
So what's the question?

Sorry, forgot that.

Question is, "Prove f is bijection."

Please check my assumption.

The Captain said:
If we assume (a,b) as ordered pairs and write them as follows:

(1,1) (1,2) (1,3) (1,4)...(a,b+n)
(2,1) (2,2) (2,3) (2,4)...(a+1,b+n)
(a+n,b)........(a+n,b+n)

Using diagonal processing, we deduce that f is one-one.

Now can we also assume it is onto because f(a,b) maps to exactly one ordered pair?
What this shows is that there is a bijection from Z+ x Z+ to Z+. It doesn't prove that (2^(a-1))(2b-1) is one of such bijections. So it doesn't help.

I'm interpreting f(a,b) = 2^(a-1)(2b-1) as (2^(a-1))(2b-1), and not 2^((a-1)(2b-1)) since the latter isn't 1-1. E.g subbing in (1,1) and (1,2), both gives f = 1.

To prove that the function is 1-1. Suppose that it isn't, i.e. there exists (a,b) not equal to (c,d) such that f(a,b) = f(c,d). Suppose that a is not equal to c, and without loss of generality assume a>c, then we have (2^(a-1))(2b-1) = (2^(c-1))(2d-1). Therefore (2^(a-c))(2b-1) = 2d - 1. Then the left hand side is an even number, and the right hand side is an odd number. Contradiction. (Notice that a-c = 0 is not possible).

I assumed that a isn't equal to c there. Now you need to try what happens when a is equal to c, which would imply b is not equal to d (since (a,b) is not equal to (c,d)), and show that this also leads to a contradiction. (It's a simple argument). Once you've done that, you've finished the proof for 1-1.

To prove it's onto: think about how if I gave you a positive integer, k, how you would find (a,b) so that f(a,b) = k. If that hint doesn't help much, I can be more specific.

Last edited:

1. How do I start the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction?

To start the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction, you will need to first gather all the necessary materials and equipment. This includes the two Z+ particles, any required catalysts, and a suitable reaction vessel. You will also need to ensure that the reaction conditions, such as temperature and pressure, are optimal for the reaction to occur.

2. What is the role of catalysts in the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction?

Catalysts play a crucial role in the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. They do this by providing an alternative reaction pathway with a lower energy barrier, allowing the reaction to proceed more quickly and efficiently.

3. Can the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction be performed under any conditions?

No, the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction requires specific conditions in order to occur. These conditions may include a specific temperature range, a specific pressure range, and the presence of certain catalysts. Without these conditions, the reaction may not occur or may proceed at a much slower rate.

4. How can I increase the yield of the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction?

There are several ways to increase the yield of the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction. One way is to carefully control the reaction conditions, such as the temperature and pressure, to ensure they are optimal for the reaction. Another way is to add excess reagents or use a more efficient catalyst. Additionally, removing any byproducts or impurities during the reaction can also help increase the yield.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety protocols when performing the Z+ X Z+ -> Z+ reaction. This may include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, handling chemicals with caution, and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to properly dispose of any leftover chemicals and clean the reaction vessel after the reaction is complete.