Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to tell if a (chargeable or not) battery is bad?

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1
    Somehow I've never really known how to tell if a battery is bad without simply using it and seeing if the device it is powering doesn't work, an experiment that can get tricky trying to isolate a singe battery in a device that uses multiple battery cells. I figure that it is some combination of voltage and internal impedance - i.e., which is an effect of the ability of a battery to deliver a current, which is why in that "The Mechanical Universe" episode, a lemon can be made into a "battery" that can generate a voltage but not much current.

I have a pretty good digital multimeter. The motivation for this question is that I'm trying to take pictures with a digital camera (i.e., a real camera, not a smartphone) that requires rechargeable batteries, but all my batteries like that don't seem to work (I'm charging them as I type.)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Find resistors that match loads for the various gadgets, measure voltage(s) across just the battery, and then across the battery plus the "dummy load." Excessive drop is a bad battery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted