How to tell if a (chargeable or not) battery is bad?

• Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of determining if a battery is bad without testing it in a device, and the factors that contribute to a battery's ability to deliver current. The use of a digital multimeter is mentioned, and the motivation for the question is explained as needing to use rechargeable batteries for a digital camera. The suggestion is made to use resistors to match loads for different gadgets and measure the voltage drop to determine if a battery is bad.
swampwiz
Somehow I've never really known how to tell if a battery is bad without simply using it and seeing if the device it is powering doesn't work, an experiment that can get tricky trying to isolate a singe battery in a device that uses multiple battery cells. I figure that it is some combination of voltage and internal impedance - i.e., which is an effect of the ability of a battery to deliver a current, which is why in that "The Mechanical Universe" episode, a lemon can be made into a "battery" that can generate a voltage but not much current.

I have a pretty good digital multimeter. The motivation for this question is that I'm trying to take pictures with a digital camera (i.e., a real camera, not a smartphone) that requires rechargeable batteries, but all my batteries like that don't seem to work (I'm charging them as I type.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Find resistors that match loads for the various gadgets, measure voltage(s) across just the battery, and then across the battery plus the "dummy load." Excessive drop is a bad battery.

1. What are the signs that a battery is going bad?

Some common signs that a battery is going bad include decreased battery life, difficulty holding a charge, and visible physical damage such as leakage or bulging.

2. How can I test if a battery is bad?

There are a few methods for testing a battery's health, including using a multimeter to check the voltage, performing a load test to see how the battery performs under a heavy load, and using a battery analyzer tool.

3. What is the average lifespan of a battery?

The average lifespan of a battery can vary depending on the type, usage, and quality of the battery. Generally, rechargeable batteries can last anywhere from 2-7 years, while non-rechargeable batteries may last 3-10 years.

4. Can a bad battery be repaired?

In most cases, a bad battery cannot be repaired. However, it is possible to extend the life of a battery by properly maintaining and caring for it, such as avoiding extreme temperatures and fully charging and discharging it regularly.

5. How can I dispose of a bad battery?

It is important to properly dispose of a bad battery as they contain harmful chemicals. Many cities have designated drop-off locations for battery recycling. You can also check with your local waste management company for proper disposal methods.