How to tell if a (chargeable or not) battery is bad?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Battery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
swampwiz
Messages
567
Reaction score
83
Somehow I've never really known how to tell if a battery is bad without simply using it and seeing if the device it is powering doesn't work, an experiment that can get tricky trying to isolate a singe battery in a device that uses multiple battery cells. I figure that it is some combination of voltage and internal impedance - i.e., which is an effect of the ability of a battery to deliver a current, which is why in that "The Mechanical Universe" episode, a lemon can be made into a "battery" that can generate a voltage but not much current.

I have a pretty good digital multimeter. The motivation for this question is that I'm trying to take pictures with a digital camera (i.e., a real camera, not a smartphone) that requires rechargeable batteries, but all my batteries like that don't seem to work (I'm charging them as I type.)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Find resistors that match loads for the various gadgets, measure voltage(s) across just the battery, and then across the battery plus the "dummy load." Excessive drop is a bad battery.