How to truly understand the math in physics

• Thread starter aiop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: N) are very far apart, the force between them will be very weak, and the gravitational equation Fg=Gm1m2/r^2 will be true even if m1 and m2 are quite different in size. But if m1 and m2 are close to each other, their masses will be more than just the sum of their individual masses--their combined mass will be much more than the sum of the masses of m1 and m2. In other words, the force between m1 and m2 will be stronger than the force between m1 and any other single object. So the equation for the gravitational force between two masses will be Fg=Gm1m2/r^2 even if
aiop
I want to know if there's a book or a direction of research that explains math in a way that will give me the tools to be able to look at math and truly understand why each piece is used in each spot like the physics who invented it must of understood.

For example: Just for something as simple as the universal gravitational equation Fg= Gm1m2/r^2 how can I understand that, and more so how can I understand why a basic square root sign changes that to mean the required orbiting velocity of a satellite. Orbiting v= square root Gm/r

I am an undergraduate student studying theoretical physics in my first year.

Thanks in advance!
Aiop

Physics news on Phys.org
aiop said:
I want to know if there's a book or a direction of research that explains math in a way that will give me the tools to be able to look at math and truly understand why each piece is used in each spot like the physics who invented it must of understood.

No, there is no single source that can teach you this. You'll learn the rules of math as you progress in your studies and your physics classes should teach you how to apply the math to the physics to solve problems and derive different rules and laws Both processes happen simultaneously and are ongoing.

Do you have any recommendations in material in the mean time? I am dying to understand it.

Other than a standard college-level textbook, I can't say that I have any. The physics textbook I used was an older version of this one.
In case the link breaks in the future, the book is: University Physics with Modern Physics, by Hugh D. Young (Author), Roger A. Freedman (Author)
You should be able to buy a copy that doesn't have the "modern physics" part, since you shouldn't need anything from that section for several years.

Likes aiop
Drakkith said:
Other than a standard college-level textbook, I can't say that I have any. The physics textbook I used was an older version of this one.
In case the link breaks in the future, the book is: University Physics with Modern Physics, by Hugh D. Young (Author), Roger A. Freedman (Author)
You should be able to buy a copy that doesn't have the "modern physics" part, since you shouldn't need anything from that section for several years.
Had a good laugh looking at one of the reviews. Damn loose leaf textbooks are HORRIBLE. Always rip, crinkle, fold no matter how careful you are.

aiop said:
For example: Just for something as simple as the universal gravitational equation Fg= Gm1m2/r^2 how can I understand that, and more so how can I understand why a basic square root sign changes that to mean the required orbiting velocity of a satellite. Orbiting v= square root Gm/r

It doesn't work like this. A priori, you could not know or see why using the square root will give you the desired quantity.
But you can mathematically derive the desired expression by using physical relations.
You start with the physical relation Fg = Fz, the zentripetal force Fz=mv^2 /r (m is the mass of the satellite, either m1 or m2).
And then you solve the equation for v using mathematical rules.

In the end you see: 'ah, that looks almost like the original term, just with the square root'.
Sometimes, in a script or in a book, the calculation is not carried out, and there is just an arrow or a phrase like 'it follows', so you have to check the derivation yourself if you don't understand it immediately.

Likes aiop
aiop said:

I don't believe there's a direct connection between these two formulas. The first formula gives the gravitational force between two objects, and the second gives the velocity required for a satellite to remain in orbit.

The thinking that went into the first formula is that the attractive force Fg is proportional to each of the masses involved, but is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. In symbols, this is Fg ∝ ##\frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2}##. (The symbol ∝ means "is proportional to.") So given two masses m1 and m2 whose centers are r units apart, if you double m1, the gravitational force will double. If you double both masses, the gravitational force will quadruple (be four times as large).

If the two masses (m1 and m2) are moved so that they are at a distance of 2r, the gravitational force will be one fourth of what it was when they are r units apart, since we're now dividing by (2r)2 = 4r2.

The constant G is what allows us rewrite the proportionality above as an equation; i.e., ##F_g = G\frac{m_1m_2}{r^2}##.

For your equation on the orbital velocity, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_speed#Mean_orbital_speed. In the derivation, they make a simplifying assumption, that the mass of the orbiting satellite is negligible in comparison to the mass of the object the satellite is orbiting.

Personally, I prefer an experimental/experiential approach to understanding the math rather than a proof-based approach.

But Gauss's law (electricity and magnetism), quantum mechanics, and my study of the hydrogen atom's symmetries revealed more about the mathematical beauty (symmetries) of Newton's Universal Law of gravitation than studying it in isolation likely would have.

Patience grasshopper. Keep working hard. "True understanding" comes in layers like peeling an onion. Great beauty awaits.

Likes Okantomi and aiop

1. How important is it to have a strong foundation in math for understanding physics?

Having a strong foundation in math is essential for truly understanding physics. Many of the concepts in physics rely heavily on mathematical principles and equations, so having a solid understanding of math will greatly improve your ability to comprehend and apply these concepts.

2. What are the key mathematical concepts that are important for understanding physics?

Some key mathematical concepts that are important for understanding physics include algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and vector analysis. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects, as well as the forces acting upon them.

3. How can I improve my math skills for better understanding of physics?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your math skills for understanding physics. Start with the basics and work your way up to more complex concepts. Also, try to make connections between the math and the physical concepts to better understand how they relate to each other.

4. Are there any specific strategies for understanding the math in physics?

One strategy for understanding the math in physics is to break down complex equations into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you identify the key components and better understand how they contribute to the overall equation. Additionally, drawing diagrams and visualizing the concepts can also aid in understanding the math in physics.

5. How can I apply my mathematical skills to real-world physics problems?

To apply your mathematical skills to real-world physics problems, it is important to first understand the physical concepts being presented. Then, identify the relevant equations and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, make sure to check your answer and see if it makes sense in the context of the problem.