How to understand momentum is the generator of translation ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
HxWang
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
How to understand "momentum is the generator of translation" ?

"As it is known from classical mechanics, the momentum is the generator of translation", it is from WIKI, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum_operator)
I don't understand its meaning.
[itex]T(ε)[/itex] is translation operator, then [itex]T(ε)f(x)=f(x-ε)=f(x)-ε\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=(1-ε \frac{\partial }{\partial x}) f(x)[/itex] ,
so [itex]T(ε)=1-ε \frac{\partial }{\partial x} = 1 + i ε (i \frac{\partial }{\partial x})[/itex],
we can say [itex]i \frac{\partial }{\partial x}[/itex] is the generator of translation, where is momentum ??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an interesting question.
I think you will find the answer by reading about canonical transformations in classical mechanics.
Of course you will have to think about the correspondance CM-QM, and thats' why it will be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_transformation
 
Last edited:
HxWang said:
"As it is known from classical mechanics, the momentum is the generator of translation", it is from WIKI, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum_operator)
I don't understand its meaning.
[itex]T(ε)[/itex] is translation operator, then [itex]T(ε)f(x)=f(x-ε)=f(x)-ε\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=(1-ε \frac{\partial }{\partial x}) f(x)[/itex] ,
so [itex]T(ε)=1-ε \frac{\partial }{\partial x} = 1 + i ε (i \frac{\partial }{\partial x})[/itex],
we can say [itex]i \frac{\partial }{\partial x}[/itex] is the generator of translation, where is momentum ??
You're asking about a generator in classical mechanics, but your calculation involves a translation operator acting on a wavefunction. If CM has taught us to think of momentum as a generator of translations, then your result looks like a good reason to guess that momentum can be represented by -id/dx in QM. (Or +id/dx...I'm a bit puzzled by the sign, but I don't have time to think it through right now).

If we want to argue that momentum is the generator of translations in CM, then we must do a calculation in CM, no wavefunctions involved. I don't remember the reason why momentum is said to be a generator of translations in CB (not sure I ever knew it), so I checked the mechanics books I have at home. They don't explain this, so I decided to try to figure it out. I still don't know what the answer is, but this looks like an answer:

If
$$S[q]=\int_0^t L(q(t),\dot q(t)) \mathrm dt,$$ where L is a Lagrangian and S is an action functional, then ##S[q+\varepsilon]=S[q]+\varepsilon p(t)## to first order in ε. This is perhaps a reason to call p a "generator of translations".

But maybe this isn't it at all. I have a feeling that we should be looking at Noether's theorem. Maybe there's a reason to call the conserved quantities "generators". If someone has a better answer, I would like to hear it.
 
Go to Chapter 2.8 in Shankar's QM text.

Edit: Section attached

He then goes on to apply this theorem to translations, but for some reason I can't clip that part without my computer freezing up.
 
Attachments
  • 214211.PNG
    214211.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,064
Last edited:
Thanks a lot, maajdl, Fredrik and HomogenousCow.

This is my argument about the question:
The word "generator" appears in "Group Theory" and "CM", this is the reason why we confused.
In Group Theory, ∇ (or [itex]\pm i ∇[/itex]) is the generator of translation, the manner we obtain it is "translating object [itex]f(x)[/itex]". Generally, we call this “active transformation”.
In CM, canonical transformations is "coordinate transformation", that is "passive transformation". In passive infinitesimal canonical transformations,
[itex]q'=\hat{T}(ε)(q,p)=q+ε\frac{\partial g}{\partial p}[/itex]
[itex]p'=\hat{T}(ε)(q,p)=p-ε \frac{\partial g}{\partial q}[/itex]​
where [itex]\hat{T}(ε)[/itex] is "transforming operator", which act on (q,p) simultaneously. we call [itex]g=g(q,p)[/itex] generator of transformation. when [itex]g(q,p)=p[/itex], corresponding transformation is spatial translation.

Summary:
∇ is the generator of active transformation, g(q,p) is the generator of passive transformation.

What do you think of my argument?

PS:I'm from china, so I'm very grateful for someone pointing out my mistake in Physics and language. :)
Thanks to maajdl, Fredrik and HomogenousCow again.
 
Last edited:
Fredrik said:
I have a feeling that we should be looking at Noether's theorem. Maybe there's a reason to call the conserved quantities "generators".
Yes, it's all about Noether's theorem (or, deeper, Lie transformation theory). For every (continuous) symmetry of the Lagrangian there's a conserved quantity which generates the symmetry.

E.g., for a variation of a canonical coordinate ##q_k \to q_k + \delta q_k##, the conserved quantity turns out to be $$ \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_k}$$which is the canonical momentum.

Note the adjective "canonical". The correspondence with familiar everyday quantities gets trickier when dealing with non-free or relativistic situations.

BTW, this can also be regarded as a form of the general principle that for every continuous symmetry of a (set of) dynamical equation(s) of motion (i.e., a symmetry which takes solutions to solutions), there's necessarily a generator. This is the essence of Lie transformation theory. :wink: