How to Use Integral to Solve Problems

In summary: The constants v0 and s0 are the initial velocity and initial displacement.The "at" expression in the integral ∫a.tdt comes from an inner integral ∫adt = at is that what you mean?Yes, I meant that the "at" expression in the integral comes from an inner integral.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
How to use integral?
I created a thread months ago to find out what is the integral of Hubble equation.
Now, I create a thread to understand how to use the integral.

Problem 1:
Something is constantly accelerating 10m/s per meter. Let's say the acceleration is H.
so H = 10m . s-1. h-1
Velocity = H x Distance; V = HD
For a given distance, how can we find the time it takes to cover that distance?
RyanH42 said:
##V=dx/dt## then ##dt=dx/V## then integrate it ##V=HD## İnside the integral will be ##1/H_0xdx##
Someone has given me the answer. Okay..., I get it.

Problem 2:
Something is constantly accelerating 10m/s per second. Let's say the acceleration is a
so a = 10 m.s-1.s-1
or a = 10 m/s2
For a given time, how can we find the distance it takes?
I know the answer is D = 1/2 at2. We were taught that at high school.
Instinctively it is the integral of D = VT
I'll try to make a sentence like RyanH42.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
##V = dx/dt## then ##dx = V dt## then integrate it ##V = a.t## inside the integral will be ##\int a.t \, dt##
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this sentence correct? I try to understand how to use the integral to solve a problem not to integrate an equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "at" expression in the integral ∫a.tdt comes from an inner integral ∫adt = at is that what you mean?

Likes Stephanus
##V=dx/dt##
##dx=Vdt##
## x=∫Vdt##
##a=dV/dt##
##dV=adt##
##V=∫adt## so

##x=∫Vdt## here V is equal ##V=∫adt## = ##x=∫(∫adt)dt## a is 10 so, ##V=∫adt ##, ##V=∫10dt ## which its 10t. now ##x=∫(∫adt)dt##=##x=∫10tdt## which its ##10t^2/2##

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
How to use integral?
I created a thread months ago to find out what is the integral of Hubble equation.
Now, I create a thread to understand how to use the integral.

Problem 1:
Something is constantly accelerating 10m/s per meter.
This doesn't make sense. Acceleration is the time rate of change of velocity, so the units typically are m/s2 or similar (distance/time2).
Stephanus said:
Let's say the acceleration is H.
so H = 10m . s-1. h-1
Velocity = H x Distance; V = HD
For a given distance, how can we find the time it takes to cover that distance?

Someone has given me the answer. Okay..., I get it.

Problem 2:
Something is constantly accelerating 10m/s per second. Let's say the acceleration is a
so a = 10 m.s-1.s-1
or a = 10 m/s2
For a given time, how can we find the distance it takes?
I know the answer is D = 1/2 at2. We were taught that at high school.
Instinctively it is the integral of D = VT
I'll try to make a sentence like RyanH42.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
##V = dx/dt## then ##dx = V dt## then integrate it ##V = a.t## inside the integral will be ##\int a.t \, dt##
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this sentence correct? I try to understand how to use the integral to solve a problem not to integrate an equation.

To solve this problem you have to solve a differential equation, which in this case you can do by integrating twice.
The differential equation is ##\frac{d^2s}{dt^2} = a##.
Integrate both sides to get ds/dt, the velocity:
Velocity: ##v = \frac{ds}{dt} = \int \frac{d}{dt}\frac{ds}{dt} dt= \int a dt = at + v_0##
Integrate once more to get the displacement:
Displacement ##s = \int \frac{ds}{dt} dt= \int v dt = \int (at + v_0)dt = \frac 1 2 at^2 + v_0t + s_0##
The constants v0 and s0 are the initial velocity and initial displacement.

Likes Stephanus
jedishrfu said:
The "at" expression in the integral ∫a.tdt comes from an inner integral ∫adt = at is that what you mean?
I mean Distance = ##\int a.t \, dt##
But if you said
jedishrfu said:
∫adt = at
Is it ##V = \int a \, dt##?

RyanH42 said:
##V=dx/dt##
##dx=Vdt##
## x=∫Vdt##
##a=dV/dt##
##dV=adt##
##V=∫adt## so

##x=∫Vdt## here V is equal ##V=∫adt## = ##x=∫(∫adt)dt## a is 10 so, ##V=∫adt ##, ##V=∫10dt ## which its 10t. now ##x=∫(∫adt)dt##=##x=∫10tdt## which its ##10t^2/2##
Ahh, this is what @jedishrfu means about inner integral?
So the distance is not straight forward ##D = \int a.t \, dt##, but ##D = \int (\int a \, dt) \, dt## while ##\int a \, dt = a.t \text { , so } D = \int a.t \, dt##

Hi Mark44
Mark44 said:
This doesn't make sense. Acceleration is the time rate of change of velocity, so the units typically are m/s2 or similar (distance/time2).
YES, That's right Mark44, it's NOT acceleration. You might know that the galaxies are traveling from us. The farther, the faster. About 100km/s per 3 million light year. (200 km/s per 6 million ly) You are right! It's not acceleration. But for a non English speaker. I don't know the term for the galaxy movement. Glad you pointed that out.
Mark44 said:
To solve this problem you have to solve a differential equation, which in this case you can do by integrating twice.
The differential equation is ##\frac{d^2s}{dt^2} = a##.
Integrate both sides to get ds/dt, the velocity:
Velocity: ##v = \frac{ds}{dt} = \int \frac{d}{dt}\frac{ds}{dt} dt= \int a dt = at + v_0##
Integrate once more to get the displacement:
Displacement ##s = \int \frac{ds}{dt} dt= \int v dt = \int (at + v_0)dt = \frac 1 2 at^2 + v_0t + s_0##
The constants v0 and s0 are the initial velocity and initial displacement.
Yes it makes sense.
It is for the case where the object started not in T0 and at some distance at some velocity. Have to think this paragraph for a while to understand that. It's more complicated than I tought.

1. What is an integral and how is it used to solve problems?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems by finding the total value of a function over a given interval. This can be applied to various real-life scenarios such as calculating the distance traveled by an object or the total amount of water in a reservoir.

2. How do I know when to use an integral to solve a problem?

You can use an integral to solve a problem when the problem involves finding the total value or accumulation of a function over a given interval. This can be determined by looking at the problem and identifying if it involves a rate of change or a continuous function.

3. What are the steps to using an integral to solve a problem?

The steps to using an integral to solve a problem are:

1. Identify the problem and determine if it requires the use of an integral.
  2. Set up the integral by defining the function and the limits of integration.
  3. Simplify the integral by applying any necessary rules, such as the power rule or the substitution rule.
  4. Evaluate the integral using techniques such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution.
  5. Interpret the solution in the context of the problem to find the final answer.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using an integral to solve a problem?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when using an integral to solve a problem include:

• Forgetting to define the function and the limits of integration.
  • Applying the wrong integration rule or formula.
  • Forgetting to simplify the integral before evaluating it.
  • Not interpreting the solution in the context of the problem.

5. Can an integral be used to solve problems in other fields besides math?

Yes, integrals can be used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even biology. They are a powerful tool for finding the total value or accumulation of a function in real-world scenarios.