1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to use the graph of the distance between any two points

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write an expression for the distance between the point P(1,2) and an arbitrary point [tex]( x, \sqrt{x} )[/tex] on the curve [tex]y = \sqrt{x}[/tex]. Graph this distance versus x, and use the graph to find the x-coordinate of the point on the curve that is closest to the point P.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, here's the expression I wrote for the distance:

[tex]d = \sqrt{ (x - 1)^2 + ( 2 - \sqrt{x} )^2 }[/tex]

I've graphed this on a graphic software. Now, how can I use this graph to answer the question? What do I have to look for on the graph?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Since this is the in the pre-calculus forum I'll assume you won't be using derivatives, so you'll be finding an approximate solution to the shortest distance.

When you graphed the distance versus x, at what (approx) x value is the distance the shortest? In other words, where is d the smallest?

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    d is smallest when x is approx equal to 1.35296

The answer is correct as given at the back of the book.

Yes, I didn't want to use derivatives for this question; but if I were to use derivatives, I would have differentiated the function and equated it to zero, and then would've solved for x, right?

EDIT: Also note that in the graph there's only one minimum and no maximum extrema, so differentiating twice won't be necessary.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. Feb 9, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes that's correct :smile:

May I ask how you found that answer with such precision?

6. Feb 9, 2010 #5
    I used a graphing software to create the graph, and then I zoomed in many times on the part of the graph where d was the smallest. I used http://www.walterzorn.com/grapher/grapher_app.htm".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook