How to win over a prof you want to work with

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: Computational condensed matter theory is very math-intensive and I'm not sure if an undergraduate could really do anything to help.
bjnartowt
Hey all, I'm going to start PhD studies next year. I hope to do research in theoretical condensed matter physics. I have picked out someone I might be interested in working with. I asked if he wanted me to work for him. However, he said,

"I'd be happy to talk to you after my return to campus
on May 2. In general I'm discouraging students right now;
while I've just had one person graduate which will leave me
with a 2-student group, I don't have $ to support more than
one and am reluctant to take anyone on. Just to warn you..."

So it looks unlikely I'll work with him. However, is there a way to make myself into someone the profs want to work with? Doing well in core coursework is probably first and foremost, but I'm wondering what I can do beyond that.

BJN

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very interested in this topic as well. There's lots of advice out there on choosing an advisor, but I would like more tips on how to become a desirable advisee once you've identified a potential advisors.

Depends on the nature of your work. Is your work mostly analytical or computational? If computational, is it mostly simulations?

Sometimes, you can first try unpaid volunteer work to prove yourself.

Simfish said:
Depends on the nature of your work. Is your work mostly analytical or computational? If computational, is it mostly simulations?

Sometimes, you can first try unpaid volunteer work to prove yourself.

Good question: all I know is that it's "superconductor theory". I'm not sure what specific projects this guy has right now.

Also, I was under the impression that stuff in condensed matter theory was 95% computational?

It sounds to me like it's not so much an issue of this professor wanting to work with you as it is an issue of him not having financial support and thus not wanting to put you into a situation where you won't have funding.

It would be worth investigating how financial support for graduate students works at this institution. One option, if it's available to you, is to apply for external funding. In Canada that would come in the form of an NSERC scholarship, for example.

It wasn't uncommon for grad students at my university to be paid on a teaching assistantship the entire time they were in grad school if they were working with someone who either didn't have much funding or wasn't willing to financially support them. So it might be an option to work with him the first year while being paid to teach (which means you'll have to devote your free time to trying to impress him in the lab). You can also apply for your own funding, such as through the NSF.

Also, I was under the impression that stuff in condensed matter theory was 95% computational?

I have this impression too, but my concern is that I can't imagine how an undergraduate could contribute to this stuff.

What can I do to stand out to the professor I want to work with?

The best way to stand out to a professor is to show your genuine interest in their research and their field. This can be done through attending their lectures or seminars, asking thoughtful questions, and staying updated on their current projects.

Is it appropriate to email a professor to express my interest in working with them?

Yes, it is appropriate to email a professor to express your interest in working with them. However, make sure to do your research beforehand and personalize your email to show your specific interest in their work. Keep the email concise and professional.

What should I include in my email to the professor?

In your email, you should introduce yourself and your background, explain why you are interested in working with the professor specifically, and mention any relevant qualifications or experiences you have. You can also attach your resume or CV for the professor to review.

What should I avoid when trying to win over a professor?

Avoid being too pushy or demanding in your approach. Professors are busy individuals and may not have the time or resources to take on additional students. Also, do not send a generic email to multiple professors. Make sure to personalize each email to the specific professor you are interested in working with.

How can I continue to impress the professor once I have made initial contact?

One way to continue impressing the professor is to stay updated on their research and publications. You can also reach out to them to offer assistance on any ongoing projects or ask to meet with them to discuss their work in more detail. Additionally, take the opportunity to network with the professor in any professional settings or events.