1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to write coupled mode equation of a given structure

1. Mar 28, 2014 #1
    Recently I am reading the papers in the field of PT symmetry systems. What I am confused is that in these papers, authors directly write out the equations describe the dynamics of the given systems( For example, in this paper http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1103/1103.3389.pdf , authors put forward a honeycomb photonic lattice and they just write out the equations).
    Now I am reading the papers about CMT written by Haus and Huang, but I still can not figure out how to write the equation describe the dynamics of a given structure.
    So my question is that what I need to do so that I can give the coupled mode equations.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will have to follow the references; the equations will be derived there, or in further references.

For example, the origin of the system of equations (1) will be explained in references [3-5].

This "tight binding" model is an application of a "standard" model from condensed matter physics to their particular problem, and will originate in a standard text book in one of the references [3-5].

Thus when you are reading a paper in a new field you may also have to read a number of the references. It is often easier to seek out a review paper so that the slogging has been simplified by an expert in the area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook