How useful is the IEEE green book?

In summary, the Green Book is a good reference for grounding guidelines for a Delta high resistance ground system, but there are better and more useful references available. One recommended book is "The American Electrician's Handbook" which provides practical schematics and explanations for different grounding methods. The Green Book explains the basic principles of grounding and is recommended for plant engineers to have in their library. The conversation also suggests that EE curriculums should include a course on IEEE 142, as many electrical engineers lack understanding of grounding.
stuerobert
I am working at a new plant with a Delta high resistance ground system. I am looking for general grounding guidelines for this system.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Green book should provide good guidance for your grounding of such system. However, you should be able to find better references that are far more useful (and less costly). One of my favorites is "The American Electrician's Handbook". Nearly any edition will provide you with nearly all the types of transformer grounding you are likely to encounter. I actually found it better than my "Electrical Engineering Handbook" in this regard as it provided practical schematics and reasons for various grounding methods vs gobblygook and no wiring diagrams.

The Green Book explains clearly the basic principles on which the practice of grounding is built.
Familiarity with it makes a lot of the mysteries of the NEC disappear.

Your plant engineers should have a copy in their library.

I feel that every EE curriculum should have a 1 credit hour course on IEEE 142, Green Book.
That so many electrical engineers graduate lacking understanding of "Ground" should be an embarrassment to the profession.
Just look at the questions we get here on PF about it.

That's my opinion.

Likes dlgoff

1. How is the IEEE green book useful for scientific research?

The IEEE green book is a valuable resource for scientific research as it provides comprehensive standards and guidelines for the design, construction, and maintenance of electrical power systems. It covers topics such as power generation, transmission, and distribution, and offers insights on safety, reliability, and efficiency.

2. Can the IEEE green book be used for practical applications?

Yes, the IEEE green book is designed to be a practical guide for engineers and professionals involved in the design and operation of electrical power systems. It offers practical solutions to common problems and helps ensure the safe and efficient operation of power systems.

3. Is the IEEE green book regularly updated?

Yes, the IEEE green book is regularly updated to reflect the latest advancements and changes in the field of electrical power systems. This ensures that the information and standards provided in the book are up-to-date and relevant to current industry practices.

4. Can the IEEE green book be used as a reference for academic purposes?

Yes, the IEEE green book is a reputable and reliable source of information for academic purposes. It is often used as a reference for students and researchers in the field of electrical engineering and related disciplines.

5. Are the standards and guidelines in the IEEE green book universally applicable?

The standards and guidelines in the IEEE green book are based on extensive research and industry best practices, and are generally accepted and used worldwide. However, it is important to note that some countries or regions may have their own specific standards and regulations that may differ from those in the book.