How was the electron first weighed?

• Thread starter Justryingtopasschem
  • Start date
In summary, to conduct a scientific experiment, one must follow the scientific method which involves identifying a question, conducting background research, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting the experiment, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. A hypothesis is an educated guess while a theory is a well-supported explanation for a phenomenon. Writing a scientific research paper requires following a specific format and properly citing sources. Reliable sources can be found through specialized databases and search engines, and it is important to critically evaluate their credibility. To communicate scientific findings to a non-scientific audience, it is best to use clear and concise language, avoid technical jargon, and use visual aids when necessary.
Justryingtopasschem
Help! I need to know how...

Help i need to know

How was the electron first weighed?? Who did it and how did they do it?

If you could let me know i would be so happy! Thanks

~Heather~

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Like your handle :) You need to learn how to use google.

http://www.egglescliffe.org.uk/physics/particles/electron/electron.html#appendix

The electron was first weighed by American physicist Robert Millikan in 1909 through his famous oil drop experiment. He used a vertical chamber filled with air and sprayed tiny oil droplets into it. By observing the motion of these droplets, he was able to calculate the charge of the electron and from there, determine its mass. This experiment is considered a major milestone in the field of physics and helped to accurately measure the charge and mass of the electron.

Related to How was the electron first weighed?

1. How do I conduct a scientific experiment?

To conduct a scientific experiment, you will need to follow the scientific method. This includes identifying a question or problem, conducting background research, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting the experiment, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions.

2. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about the outcome of an experiment, while a theory is a well-supported explanation for a phenomenon that has been repeatedly tested and validated through various experiments and observations.

3. How do I write a scientific research paper?

To write a scientific research paper, you will need to follow a specific format, including an abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is also important to properly cite any sources and use clear and concise language.

4. How do I find reliable sources for my research?

You can find reliable sources for your research by using databases and search engines specifically for scientific literature, such as PubMed or Google Scholar. It is also important to critically evaluate the credibility of the source and consider factors such as the author's credentials and the publication's peer-review process.

5. How do I communicate my scientific findings to a non-scientific audience?

To communicate your scientific findings to a non-scientific audience, it is important to use clear and concise language, avoid technical jargon, and provide relevant and relatable examples. Visual aids, such as graphs or diagrams, can also be helpful in conveying complex information in a more understandable way.