1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would I go about computing the radial acceleration when given i and j components?

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I attempted this problem, and i have a midterm tommorow. I thought my approach was correct but I don't have a clue if it actually is. I drew a simple right angle triangle according to the information given in the question.

A ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.40 m long. When the ball is 36.1° past the lowest point on its way up, its total acceleration is (−22.5i + 20.2j ) m/s^2. For that instant, do the following. Find the radial acceleration. Also compute the velocity at this acceleration

2. Relevant equations

l a l = √(ai^2 + aj^2) , ar=v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

l a l= √(-22.5)^2+(20.2)^2=30.24

ar=30.24cos36.1

v=√(30cos36.1)(1.4) = 5.8

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi samatar! welcome to pf! :wink:

no, the radial component of acceleration will be the total acceleration "dot" the unit vector in the radial direction

try again :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook