1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would i go about doing this.

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    Causing an object to become charged, (ie, behave like a magnet) remotely. Not a huge range, something like 30cm or so..

Is it possible?

If i simply (hypothetically) use a very powerful electromagnet pointing at the object (the object is metal) for a very long time, will it become charged? (but then there's the problem of stopping the object from becoming attracted to the electromagnet, devaluing the "remote" aspect of it.)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    Charged objects do not behave like magnets. Charge and magnetism are not the same thing.

You cannot make an object become charged unless you shoot some charges (i.e. electrons) into it.

However, by applying an electric field, you can make an object's positive charges and negative charges temporarily separate a little bit, which makes one side of the object slightly positively charged and the other side slightly negatively charged.

No, but it might become magnetized!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook