I'm home schooled. How do I go about learning physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a forum user who is new and homeschooled, pursuing a degree in computer science. They have recently taken an interest in physics and are seeking guidance on how to learn it, particularly at a secondary school level. They are also looking for book recommendations and resources to help them in their learning journey. It is mentioned that calculus is not necessary for learning physics and some suggested textbooks and online resources are mentioned. The user is also advised to look into the content covered by different secondary school physics exam boards to get an idea of what to study.
member 624364
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.

I am homeschooled, I left normal education after my first year of UK secondary school, I absolutely hated it and was bullied so my parents and I decided that I would leave and get homeschooled.

Currently, I am pursuing a degree in computer science.

However, recently I have started getting really into maths in the aim to create a ray tracer, but it is a quite maths heavy area(linear algebra, trigonometry, calculus, matrices etc) and a bit of physics. they simulate light photons in 3d and give a photorealistic render like you would see in any animated feature film etc.

Since I have been out of school I have not learned any physics at all, the only physics I did was the first year of secondary school which was pretty much nothing. I am hoping to get some guidance on how to go about learning physics, at even high school level for now. I see people saying that you should only bother really learning physics when you know calculus, but is this aimed at more advanced physics than secondary school level?

Could anyone suggest some books to start with? My aim is to first complete secondary school level physics at least and I would be going farther with maths up to maybe linear algebra and stop around there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Novantix said:
I see people saying that you should only bother really learning physics when you know calculus, but is this aimed at more advanced physics than secondary school level?

You don't need calculus to begin learning physics. I've taken Introductory Mechanics and Introductory E&M and neither of them required me to use calculus more than a handful of times. The definitions of certain concepts are given in terms of calculus, but they almost always simplified down to algebra and trig in the homeworks and tests. My college even offers lower level physics courses covering similar material but using only algebra and trig.

Novantix said:
Could anyone suggest some books to start with? My aim is to first complete secondary school level physics at least and I would be going farther with maths up to maybe linear algebra and stop around there.

Try this textbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321501470/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It's been a few years since I opened it up, but, if I remember correctly, it teaches you everything you need to know without getting into calculus too much.

Check out the OpenStax textbooks. They're free.

Ben Crowell has some excellent online books on physics at his website:

Www.lightandmatter.com

They are often used at community colleges for first year physics which is high school physics with some calculus. I think he also has a non calculus physics book too.

Perhaps your first step should be to find out what secondary school physics entails. Look up the different exam boards, AQA, OCR etc and then look up the specifications of those boards and in particular the content each one covers. You will find that they are all very similar.

Likes Stephen Tashi

1. How can I access resources to learn physics as a home schooled student?

As a home schooled student, there are many resources available to you for learning physics. You can access textbooks, online lectures, and educational videos from websites such as Khan Academy and Coursera. Additionally, you can join online forums and communities of other home schooled students who are also learning physics.

2. Do I need to have a background in math to learn physics as a home schooled student?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful for learning physics, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many resources for home schooled students offer lessons and explanations of mathematical concepts used in physics, making it accessible for all levels of math proficiency.

3. How can I conduct experiments and labs for physics as a home schooled student?

There are various ways to conduct experiments and labs for physics as a home schooled student. You can purchase a physics lab kit specifically designed for home school use, or you can use everyday materials found at home to create your own experiments. You can also collaborate with other home schooled students in your community to conduct experiments together.

4. Are there any online courses or programs specifically for home schooled students learning physics?

Yes, there are many online courses and programs tailored for home schooled students learning physics. Some examples include Time4Learning, Virtual Homeschool Group, and The Keystone School. These programs offer a structured curriculum and virtual classroom setting for home schooled students to learn physics.

5. How can I ensure I am covering all necessary topics and concepts in my physics education as a home schooled student?

As a home schooled student, it is important to have a plan and structure for your physics education. You can create a curriculum or use one provided by a homeschooling organization. It is also helpful to regularly check in with other home schooled students or a physics tutor to ensure you are covering all necessary topics and concepts in your education.