How would I go about getting into the oil/gas industry?

• Thread starter DirtyLeeds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary: Firstly, do an MEng. Many companies only recruit MEng graduates nowadays.Secondly, your degree discipline isn't particularly important for a many roles in industry, just as long as it's an MEng.Lastly, apply, apply, apply! You don't get anywhere unless you apply. So apply to everywhere that you can. Most of the big oil companies have online applications that you fill in and they get back to you fairly quickly.
DirtyLeeds
I'm currently studying a degree in Materials Science and Engineering at a good University in England. My course is a 3 year BEng but I could change to an MEng if necessary.

I was just wondering what i'd need to do to make myself stand out: What skills could I acquire at Uni to help me out when it comes to applying?

Would I need to do a Masters? If so, what in? What jobs could I get with my current degree?

I realize that I've just asked a lot of questions, so an answer to any at all would be really quite helpful.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start reading some of the trade magazines of the oil and gas industry and get a feel for what they are looking for and where you might find a fit. I think you will find that they employ almost every kind of engineer in some capacity, so the problem is to find some that you like and then find where that fits into there needs.

For example, they do a lot of work in off shore technology with robotics, so if that happened to interest you, you could develop that line and run with it. They certainly do a huge amount with corrosion and other materials related work, so that is wide open. They do lots of machinery related work, so that's another option. Instrumentation is yet another way to go. You need to get familiar with the industry for starters.

OldEngr63 said:
Start reading some of the trade magazines of the oil and gas industry and get a feel for what they are looking for and where you might find a fit. I think you will find that they employ almost every kind of engineer in some capacity, so the problem is to find some that you like and then find where that fits into there needs.

For example, they do a lot of work in off shore technology with robotics, so if that happened to interest you, you could develop that line and run with it. They certainly do a huge amount with corrosion and other materials related work, so that is wide open. They do lots of machinery related work, so that's another option. Instrumentation is yet another way to go. You need to get familiar with the industry for starters.

When I was reading their websites corrosion seemed like the way to go for my degree discipline, a masters also looks like it might be needed.

Thanks for the idea of looking at trade magazines etc

DirtyLeeds said:
I'm currently studying a degree in Materials Science and Engineering at a good University in England. My course is a 3 year BEng but I could change to an MEng if necessary.

I was just wondering what i'd need to do to make myself stand out: What skills could I acquire at Uni to help me out when it comes to applying?

Would I need to do a Masters? If so, what in? What jobs could I get with my current degree?

I realize that I've just asked a lot of questions, so an answer to any at all would be really quite helpful.

Cheers!

I have experience in the oil & gas industry in Aberdeen, the heart of the European oil & gas industry.

Firstly, yes, do the MEng. Many companies only recruit MEng graduates nowadays. There really is no reason to stop at the BEng if you are a home student and pay home fees. An MEng (or MSc) is required for chartership

Secondly, your degree discipline isn't particularly important for a many roles in industry, just as long as it's an MEng. So don't just limit yourself to roles you think that materials science/engineering could be useful to! And many companies run graduate schemes anyway where you're rotated around different departments.

Lastly, apply, apply, apply! You don't get anywhere unless you apply. So apply to everywhere that you can. Most of the big oil companies have online applications that you fill in and they get back to you fairly quickly. These applications are fairly generic and don't ask for much - if anything - industry specific. I've been to several assessment centres and interviews where people knew extremely little about the industry, so it's definitely not a prerequisite to be familiar with the industry. It'll be someone from HR that reads your application anyway and they definitely won't be familiar with it.

The skills you need are the same as any other type of graduate job, from accounting to consultancy. You need to be a good team player, you need to be a good communicator, you need to have good communication and interpersonal skills, and you need to have good analytical ability. Start practising SHL tests (available online) as these are the standard tests that many companies use to assess your numerical and verbal reasoning abilities.

To make yourself stand out you need to have experience of some sort (e.g. internships) and good extra-curriculars. Again, the standard for many graduate jobs.

Oh, and you'll usually need a 2:1 or above for many graduate schemes, or be on track for a 2:1 or above for many internships.

So, in summary, the same advice applies as applies to almost any other graduate job.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

DirtyLeeds said:
I'm currently studying a degree in Materials Science and Engineering at a good University in England.

which one? I'm thinking about doing this at Swansea, but what are other places like?

Shaun_W said:
I have experience in the oil & gas industry in Aberdeen, the heart of the European oil & gas industry.

Firstly, yes, do the MEng. Many companies only recruit MEng graduates nowadays. There really is no reason to stop at the BEng if you are a home student and pay home fees. An MEng (or MSc) is required for chartership

Secondly, your degree discipline isn't particularly important for a many roles in industry, just as long as it's an MEng. So don't just limit yourself to roles you think that materials science/engineering could be useful to! And many companies run graduate schemes anyway where you're rotated around different departments.

Lastly, apply, apply, apply! You don't get anywhere unless you apply. So apply to everywhere that you can. Most of the big oil companies have online applications that you fill in and they get back to you fairly quickly. These applications are fairly generic and don't ask for much - if anything - industry specific. I've been to several assessment centres and interviews where people knew extremely little about the industry, so it's definitely not a prerequisite to be familiar with the industry. It'll be someone from HR that reads your application anyway and they definitely won't be familiar with it.

The skills you need are the same as any other type of graduate job, from accounting to consultancy. You need to be a good team player, you need to be a good communicator, you need to have good communication and interpersonal skills, and you need to have good analytical ability. Start practising SHL tests (available online) as these are the standard tests that many companies use to assess your numerical and verbal reasoning abilities.

To make yourself stand out you need to have experience of some sort (e.g. internships) and good extra-curriculars. Again, the standard for many graduate jobs.

Oh, and you'll usually need a 2:1 or above for many graduate schemes, or be on track for a 2:1 or above for many internships.

So, in summary, the same advice applies as applies to almost any other graduate job.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

Cheers! Will take the MEng advice into account... I was thinking about trying to get away with doing a BEng (this missus' is a year older than me, so an MEng would mean she'd be working for two years before I have a job!) but if an MEng would be beneficial than i'll do that.

I'll probably be bothering you, asking for advice closer to the time! What is your experience in if you don't mind me asking?

pdunc said:
which one? I'm thinking about doing this at Swansea, but what are other places like?

I'm at the University of Sheffield atm, I can't recommend Sheffield enough as a city to live in. Great place to live and the department seems decent enough. It's a fair size in comparison to other unis, but it still feels pretty close knit. If you have any other questions about the course or the uni feel free to ask me.

DirtyLeeds said:
Cheers! Will take the MEng advice into account... I was thinking about trying to get away with doing a BEng (this missus' is a year older than me, so an MEng would mean she'd be working for two years before I have a job!) but if an MEng would be beneficial than i'll do that.

I'll probably be bothering you, asking for advice closer to the time! What is your experience in if you don't mind me asking?

An internship with an independent operator in the subsea side of things. If you want to ask other questions closer to the time then hit me a PM.

Definitely do the MEng. It's the prerequisite for a lot of big companies who recruit from all over. The companies that are okay with just a BEng tend to be smaller and only recruit locally.

1. How do I get started in the oil/gas industry?

To get started in the oil/gas industry, you should first research the different types of positions available and determine which area you are most interested in. You can then begin networking with professionals in the industry, attending job fairs and career events, and applying for entry-level positions or internships to gain experience and make valuable connections.

2. What education or qualifications are necessary to work in the oil/gas industry?

The specific education and qualifications required for a career in the oil/gas industry can vary depending on the position. However, most roles will require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as engineering, geology, or environmental science. Additional certifications or licenses may also be required for certain positions.

3. Are there any specific skills or experience that are highly valued in the oil/gas industry?

Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills are highly valued in the oil/gas industry. Experience with data analysis, project management, and technical writing can also be beneficial. Additionally, having knowledge of the latest industry technologies and regulations can make you a more competitive candidate for positions.

4. What are the job opportunities and growth potential in the oil/gas industry?

The oil/gas industry offers a wide range of job opportunities, from entry-level positions to advanced roles in management and leadership. As the demand for oil and gas continues to grow, there will likely be a steady demand for skilled professionals in the industry. Additionally, as new technologies and renewable energy sources emerge, there may be opportunities for growth and diversification within the industry.

5. What are some tips for standing out in the competitive oil/gas job market?

To stand out in the competitive oil/gas job market, it is important to have a strong education and relevant experience. You should also network with professionals in the industry and make connections through internships or job shadowing opportunities. Additionally, staying up-to-date on industry developments and continuously developing your skills and knowledge can make you a more desirable candidate for positions.