How would I write this trig solution?

• B
  • Thread starter opus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the two graphs of ##y=cos^2(x)## and ##g=sin^2(x)## intersect at points where ##cos^2(x) = sin^2(x)##. This can be solved by setting the two functions equal to each other and solving for ##x##, which yields the solutions ##x=\frac{π}{4}+2nπ,\frac{3π}{4}+2nπ##. However, there are other points of intersection, such as ##\frac{-π}{4}##, due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions. It is important to note that the square root of a square can be positive or negative, and this must be taken
opus
Gold Member
If I want to find the point where the graphs of ##y=cos^2(x)## and ##g=sin^2(x)## intersect, I would set the equations equal to each other and solve for the ##x##. This solution is ##x=sin^{-1}\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)=\frac{π}{4}+2nπ,\frac{3π}{4}+2nπ##.
However these the graphs do intersect at point's not in this listed solution, say ##\frac{-π}{4}## and this is because we are squaring the values. So where has my logic gone wrong so that I can list all solutions of ##y=cos^2(x)## and ##g=sin^2(x)##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps because root 2 = 1.414 and -1.414 ?

Likes opus
Ah so then are you saying:

##sin^2(x)=\frac{1}{2}##
##sin(x)=\frac{+-\sqrt2}{2}##? Noting the plus or minus

Maybe you made a mistake when solving?

##\cos^2 x = \sin^2 x \iff \cos x = \sin x \lor \cos x = - \sin x##

and the last two equations are standard to solve. Maybe you didn't include one of those 2?

Likes Delta2 and opus
CWatters said:
That's not correct. ##\sqrt{2} \approx 1.414##, never with a minus sign.

opus said:
##sin^2(x)=\frac{1}{2}##
##sin(x)=\frac{+-\sqrt2}{2}##? Noting the plus or minus

Likes opus
Your logic is fine. n = -1 will produce your 'missing' value.

Likes opus
CWatters said:
Although it's true that 2 has two square roots, the symbol ##\sqrt{2}## is by definition the principal, or positive, square root. As already noted, it is not correct to say that ##\sqrt{2} = \pm 1.414...## This is a mistake that crops up regularly here at this site.

Likes DrClaude and opus
opus said:
If I want to find the point where the graphs of ##y=cos^2(x)## and ##g=sin^2(x)## intersect, I would set the equations equal to each other and solve for the ##x##.
Technically, you're not "setting equations equal to each other," since that makes no sense mathematically. For example, if 2x + 3y= 5 and x + 2y = 3, then "setting the equations equal" would look something like this: 2x + 3y = 5 = x + 2y = 3, and this makes no sense.

For your problem, if one equation is ##y = cos^2(x)## and the other is ##y = sin^2(x)##, then when the two functions intersect, the point ##(x_i, y_i)## will be on both graphs. In this problem you're setting the y values equal, which means that ##\cos^2(x) = \sin^2(x)## at all points of intersection.

Likes opus
Since ## \sin^2(x)=1-\cos^2(x) ##, you could write ## \cos^2(x)=1-\cos^2(x) ##, and solve that algebraically.

Likes opus
Charles Link said:
Since ## \sin^2(x)=1-\cos^2(x) ##, you could write ## \cos^2(x)=1-\cos^2(x) ##, and solve that algebraically.
Similarly, since [itex] \sin^2(x)=\cos^2(x)[/itex], we can write [itex] \frac{\sin^2(x)}{\cos^2(x)}=1[/itex] as long as [itex]\cos^2(x)\neq 0 [/itex].
Thus, solve [itex] \tan^2(x)=1[/itex] when [itex]\cos^2(x)\neq 0 [/itex].

Likes opus
Charles Link said:
This is what I did but instead for sin rather than cos. I would run into the same problem though, since I'd be taking the root of a square.

Likes Charles Link
robphy said:
Similarly, since [itex] \sin^2(x)=\cos^2(x)[/itex], we can write [itex] \frac{\sin^2(x)}{\cos^2(x)}=1[/itex] as long as [itex]\cos^2(x)\neq 0 [/itex].
Thus, solve [itex] \tan^2(x)=1[/itex] when [itex]\cos^2(x)\neq 0 [/itex].
This would be ##\frac{π}{4}## and ##\frac{5π}{4}## all +nπ, but I still can't get ##\frac{3π}{4}## with this considering the positive nature of the principal square root because ##sin^2## and ##cos^2## intersect at ##\frac{3π}{4}## but tan is -1 there.

opus said:
This would be ##\frac{π}{4}## and ##\frac{5π}{4}## all +nπ, but I still can't get ##\frac{3π}{4}## with this considering the positive nature of the principal square root because ##sin^2## and ##cos^2## intersect at ##\frac{3π}{4}## but tan is -1 there.

##\tan^2 x = 1 \iff \tan x = 1 \lor \tan x = -1##. Did you miss the ##\tan x = -1##?

Likes opus and Charles Link
opus said:
This is what I did but instead for sin rather than cos. I would run into the same problem though, since I'd be taking the root of a square.
You take the square root of the square and you get a plus or minus. That is not at all problematic. Problem solved ! ## \\ ## Note: The square root sign seems to mean by convention that you take the positive square root. That's why in solving something like ## x^2=1 ##, you say ## x=\pm \sqrt{x^2} (= \pm \sqrt{1} )##.

Likes opus
Charles Link said:
Note: The square root sign seems to mean by convention that you take the positive square root. That's why in solving something like ## x^2=1 ##, you say ## x=\pm \sqrt{x^2} (= \pm \sqrt{1} )##.
When I learned of this in college, it was described this way: [itex] \sqrt{x^2}=\left| x \right|[/itex].
Then, your expression follows:
[itex] x= \pm \left| x \right| = \pm \sqrt{x^2} [/itex]

Likes opus and Charles Link
I wouldn't think about ##a^2 = b^2 \iff a = b \lor a = -b## using square roots. It obscures things, and introduces technicalities as squaring isn't injective on the entire real numbers.

Rather, think about it in the following way. No nasty square roots needed.

##a^2 = b^2 \iff a^2 - b^2 = 0 \iff (a-b)(a+b) = 0 \iff a - b = 0 \lor a + b = 0 \iff a = b \lor a = -b##

Likes opus
Math_QED said:
##a^2 = b^2 \iff a^2 - b^2 = 0 \iff (a-b)(a+b) = 0 \iff a - b = 0 \lor a + b = 0 \iff a = b \lor a = -b##

I like linear chains-of-reasoning, as you've done above.
Recently, I've noticed that some of my students can't parse expressions [especially when they don't interpret "relations" but rather "sequences of (calculator-)operations"].
I've found it helpful to use extra white-space or extra-levels of parentheses to help the novice parse the sentences.
##a^2 = b^2\quad \iff\quad a^2 - b^2 = 0 \quad \iff
\quad (a-b)(a+b) = 0\quad \iff \quad (a - b = 0) \lor (a + b = 0) \quad \iff\quad (a = b) \lor (a = -b)##

Likes member 587159 and opus
This has gotten deep and interesting lol. Thanks everyone. And that V means "or", is this correct?

opus said:
And that V means "or", is this correct?
Yes.
This one, ##\wedge##, means "and".

Likes opus
Ok thanks all!

Likes member 587159 and Charles Link

1. How do I determine the appropriate trigonometric function to use?

To determine the appropriate trigonometric function to use, you must first identify the given information in the problem and what you are trying to solve for. Then, refer to the unit circle or trigonometric identity charts to determine which function is most applicable.

2. What steps should I follow when writing a trigonometric solution?

When writing a trigonometric solution, you should first label the given information and draw a diagram if applicable. Then, identify the appropriate trigonometric function to use and set up the equation. Next, solve for the unknown variable and check your answer for accuracy.

3. How do I know if I need to use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines?

You can determine whether to use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines by looking at the given information in the problem. If you have two sides and the included angle, use the Law of Cosines. If you have two angles and a side opposite one of the angles, use the Law of Sines.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric problems. However, make sure to check your calculator's mode and use the appropriate units (degrees or radians) when entering values. Also, be aware of any rounding or truncation errors that may occur.

5. How can I check if my trigonometric solution is correct?

You can check if your trigonometric solution is correct by plugging your answer back into the original equation and checking if it satisfies the given information. You can also use a calculator to double-check your calculations or try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result.