Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would one read website content using a program?

1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    I'm basically looking to find out how I could code a program to read the textual contents of a website (in either batch, dev c++ or powershell script - or a combination) and then search for a specific word, which when found, will trigger a set of commands. It's basically like the findstr command in batch, that can look through local text files.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Dec 23, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Some folks use the curl command in linux/macos to get a webpage and the use awk, perl, python or ruby to extract out the data of interest. program

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURL

There is also a library of APIs that can be used in a C program for example.

5. Dec 24, 2016 #4
    It's meant to search for the URLs mentioned in urls.txt and as you can see, search for the word "Test" in the content of the URL, this is the code so far:

$webClient = new-object System.Net.WebClient
    $webClient.Headers.Add("user-agent", "PowerShell Script")

$info = get-content c:\users\dell\desktop\urls.txt

foreach ($i in $info) {
    $output = ""

$startTime = get-date
    $output = $webClient.DownloadString($i)
    $endTime = get-date

if ($output -like "Test") {
    "Success`t`t" + $i + "`t`t" + ($endTime - $startTime).TotalSeconds + " seconds"
    }

}

But for some reason, it won't work. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why not?

6. Dec 25, 2016 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

In python there are 2 modules like
    Code (Python):
    import requests; from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
    They allow you to request, process and parser information from a url. Though you should know some information of the url's source code (html) to be able and get the data you like, with my chrome browser I just right click on the site's page and ask to view the page source.
    By the time you retrieve the data, you can process them in the same script as if you had Inputed it from a text-like file from your local PC (eg output them, use them as variables or for logical expressions and stuff).

7. Dec 26, 2016 #6
    The keywords you need seem to be web scraping.

As far as I can tell Python is used most often. There likely are some very explicit tutorials that do this.

If and when you deploy such a scraper I would urge you to comply with the robots.txt file if provided by the website.
    That file will tell you if you're "allowed" to scrape the website. Otherwise you might be blacklisted by some sites depending on the traffic you generate.

8. Dec 26, 2016 #7

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With PHP, this can be really easy with a simple file_get_contents:
    PHP:
    $pageSource = file_get_contents('[PLAIN]http://www.example.com/');
    [/PLAIN] [Broken]
    And $pageSource is a string containing the source code of the web page!

If you want to do more, then there is the cURL library. This is basically a web browser (really, if done properly, a web host won't know if it's a human or cURL requesting the web page). You can set the header sent and read the header received. So you can POST (i.e. fill in forms and sending them), use cookies, read over secure protocol (HTTPS), upload files ... and so much more.

I'm used with the PHP version, but cURL is available as a free command-online tool (Tutorial, How to Use, curl usage explained) and libcurl is also available for C (and probably others as well). The cURL website even offer a comparison table with their competitors, if you want to explore more options.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  9. Dec 26, 2016 #8
    Thanks, that seems quite easy. Do you know how I could search the variable $pageSource for a list of words? Does it need to be printed somewhere, or can it be done directly? I'm not good with PHP at all, and that would be an overstatement.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  10. Dec 26, 2016 #9

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To manipulate strings in PHP, you have the string functions and the regular expression functions. For simply searching, you can use:

• stripos — Find the position of the first occurrence of a case-insensitive substring in a string
    • stristr — Case-insensitive strstr
    • strpbrk — Search a string for any of a set of characters
    • strpos — Find the position of the first occurrence of a substring in a string
    • strrchr — Find the last occurrence of a character in a string
    • strripos — Find the position of the last occurrence of a case-insensitive substring in a string
    • strrpos — Find the position of the last occurrence of a substring in a string
    • strstr — Find the first occurrence of a string
    • substr — Return part of a string
    Rewriting you code in PHP could simply be:
    PHP:
    // Assuming one URL per line in file:
    $info = file("c:\users\dell\desktop\urls.txt");

foreach ($info as $url) {
        $output = "";

$startTime = microtime(true);
        $output = file_get_contents($url);
        $endTime = microtime(true);

if (strpos($output, "Test") !== false) {
            // I'm not sure if «`t`t» is a special syntax I'm not familiar with
            // or if you want to write it literally, I assume the latter
            echo "Success`t`t" . $url . "`t`t" . ($endTime - $startTime) . " seconds";
        }
    }

11. Dec 26, 2016 #10
    Well what I had as code was PowerShell Script (.ps1) I'm not sure how PHP code can be put together with it, can it? I tried to run the code you wrote in PowerShell Script ISE and it said:

Missing 'in' after variable in foreach loop.
    At line:4 char:16

Sorry for my lack of knowledge..

12. Dec 26, 2016 #11
    A slight difference as you can read about here http://ss64.com/ps/foreach.html

When encountering such an error you can google using "Powershell" + "Missing 'in' after variable in foreach loop"
    Or if you don't know the construct you are using use "Powershell foreach" which gave the link above for me.

13. Dec 26, 2016 #12

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, I must apologize as I didn't notice your code on my first post, hence why I brought PHP as I thought you were looking for a more general method. And PHP is not powershell, so it won't work with that.

Got to work with PS and I think I found your mistake. I just checked the part about fetching a URL and looking for a word:
    Code (Text):

foreach ($i in $info) {
        $output = ""

$startTime = get-date
        $endTime = get-date

if ($output -like "*Test*") {
            $time = New-TimeSpan $startTime $endTime
            Write-Host "Success`t`t" $i "`t`t"  $time.TotalSeconds " seconds"
        }
    }
    The "*" before and after "Test" means match anything before and after "Test". I also add a "Write-Host" command before your string to write it on screen and the "+" signs aren't necessary to concatenate the strings. As I suspected "`t" is a tab. And I introduced the TimeSpan command.

Or you could use the regular expression version (apparently it is faster):
    Code (Text):

foreach ($i in $info) {
        $output = ""

$startTime = get-date
        $endTime = get-date

if ($output -match "Test") {
            $time = New-TimeSpan $startTime $endTime
            Write-Host "Success`t`t" $i "`t`t" $time.TotalSeconds " seconds"
        }
    }

14. Dec 26, 2016 #13
    The code you provided worked fine : ) Thank you

15. Dec 28, 2016 #14
    For non-text materials such as online documents such as .pdf or .doc, how do you read the contents?

16. Dec 28, 2016 #15

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to download the file and open it with a program that can read such contents.

17. Dec 28, 2016 #16
    I mean using a program so it can be automated?

18. Dec 28, 2016 #17

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same answer. For example, when you open a .pdf in your browser, your browser must have an access to a program that can read .pdf files if it wants to show its contents. The browser just download the file. If it doesn't have such an access, it will show you a 'Save as ...' window.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted