1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How you can say if a line integral will be independant ot a given path

1. May 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is my problem :
    Screenshotfrom2014-05-09095713_zpsa598e6e1.png
    so far I've solved the line integral but I don't know what is the condition that must be met in order to be independant of the path given.
    I found the line integral to be: 27/28

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2
  4. May 9, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try an other path between points (0,0,0) and (1,1,1) . What about a straight line, connecting them?

ehild

5. May 9, 2014 #4
    If the Curl of the vector field = 0 it is conservative and hence path independent.

How would you find the curl of the vector field?

6. May 9, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Open your text and look in the index for "curl"? Or Google it? Or look at the links given in post #2?

7. May 9, 2014 #6
    I'm not the one looking for help, I was trying to give it :).

8. May 9, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Woops! My bad. Well with all the hints, maybe the OP will sometime return to the thread.

9. May 9, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The integral of a vector function, [itex]\vec{F}[/itex], is independent of the path if and only if it is "a derivative". That is, if there exist a real-valued a function, f, such that [itex]\nabla\cdot f= \vec{F}[/itex]. That will be true for this vector function if [itex]f_x= xy[/itex], [itex]f_y= yz[/itex], and [itex]f_z= xz[/itex].

We can check if that is true by looking at the mixed second derivatives: [itex]f_{xy}= x[/itex] and [itex]f_{yx}= z[/itex]. Those are NOT the same so this function is NOT independent of the path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted