Line Integrals around a Square on the x-y Plane

In summary, to evaluate the given line integrals, the path of integration is anticlockwise around the four sides of a square with one corner at the origin and each side of length a. For the first integral, the sections OA and AB have a value of a, but for the sections BC and CO, the change in x is in the negative x direction. This results in two possible answers: 4a or 0. For the second integral, the same issue arises, with two possible answers of 2ai + 2aj or 0i + 0j. To determine the correct answer, parametrize each segment and pay attention to the integration directions.
Toby_phys

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following line integrals, showing your working. The path of integration in each case is anticlockwise around the four sides of the square OABC in the x−y plane whose edges are aligned with the coordinate axes. The length of each side of the square is a and one corner O is the origin.
(i) ##\int dl ##
(ii)## \int d\mathbf{l}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i:
For each the sections OA and AB, the integral gets a value ##a##. This is clear.

However, for the sections BC and CO, the change in x is in the negative x direction.

Basically I have 2 different answers ##4a## and ##0##, which is correct? Thank you.

ii:

Same problem, I have 2 answers: ##2a\mathbf{i} + 2a\mathbf{j}## or ##0\mathbf{i}+0\mathbf{j}##

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you parametrise each segment and explicitly compute the integrals. Pay particular attention to the integration directions.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a line integral calculates the value of a function along a curve.

3. What are the two types of line integrals?

The two types of line integrals are path integrals and contour integrals. Path integrals are calculated along a specific path, while contour integrals are calculated along a closed loop.

4. What is the significance of the orientation of the curve in a line integral?

The orientation of the curve in a line integral determines the direction in which the function is being integrated. This can result in a positive or negative value for the line integral.

5. How is a line integral useful in real-world applications?

Line integrals are used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to calculate work, flux, and other physical quantities along a path. They also have applications in curve fitting and optimization problems.