Hp/Kw required to move 1.5L/m of diesel fuel at 17.2 Bar?

In summary, the conversation is about the amount of power (measured in kilowatts) required to move 1.5 liters per minute of Diesel fuel at a pressure of 17.2 Bar. The person asking the question is looking for a quick answer, but the responder explains that it's better to learn how to find the answer rather than just being given it. They also mention that time is valuable and shouldn't be wasted on complaining.
Chincha40
How much Hp/Kw required to move 1.5L/m of Diesel fuel at 17.2 Bar? Please note this is for a real life problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chincha40 said:
How much Hp/Kw required to move 1.5L/m of Diesel fuel at 17.2 Bar? Please note this is for a real life problem.
Power is pressure times volumetric flow rate.

russ_watters said:
Power is pressure times volumetric flow rate.
So what units of power is that in? Kw?

Chincha40 said:
So what units of power is that in? Kw?
You'll need to pick the units and do the proper conversions. So, what is a kW?

russ_watters said:
You'll need to pick the units and do the proper conversions. So, what is a kW?
kW=Kilowatt that is 1000 watts. Sorry I assumed everything here was metric or nothing and that people here would know units of power. I need to stop making assumptions. It seems most of this forum isn't really tuned to these sort of questions by looking at the popular topics discussed.

Chincha40 said:
kW=Kilowatt that is 1000 watts.
What is a watt?
Sorry I assumed everything here was metric...
It is.
...and that people here would know units of power. I need to stop making assumptions. It seems most of this forum isn't really tuned to these sort of questions by looking at the popular topics discussed.
Patience. I know what a watt is and I know the conversion I'm asking you to do. I'm trying to lead you to the answer, not hand it to you.

So: what is a Watt? By that, I mean, what units are combined to form it?

russ_watters said:
What is a watt?

It is.

Patience. I know what a watt is and I know the conversion I'm asking you to do. I'm trying to lead you to the answer, not hand it to you.

So: what is a Watt? By that, I mean, what units are combined to form it?
Okay wise guy, you want to get smart with me? Look I am just searching for a quick answer. I am not going down an absurd route of columbs, amperes, volts, watts, kilopascales, and Newton meters. Time is money and I have none to waist good day.

Chincha40 said:
Okay wise guy, you want to get smart with me? Look I am just searching for a quick answer.
Sorry, that isn't how this forum works. It's better for you (and probably us) if you learn how to find the answer than for us to just hand it to you.
I am not going down an absurd route of columbs, amperes, volts, watts, kilopascales, and Newton meters. Time is money and I have none to waist good day.
It's too bad: thisn't a hard problem and you could have learned how to do it by now if you hadn't wasted your (and our) time complaining about it and instead just followed me through it.

Likes jrmichler

1. What is the relationship between horsepower (Hp) and kilowatts (Kw) in this scenario?

In this scenario, there is a direct correlation between Hp and Kw. One Hp is equivalent to 0.746 Kw. Therefore, the required Kw can be calculated by multiplying the required Hp by 0.746.

2. How is the amount of diesel fuel being moved measured?

The amount of diesel fuel being moved is measured in liters per minute (L/m). This is a standard unit of measurement for liquid flow rate.

3. What does the pressure of 17.2 Bar signify in this situation?

The pressure of 17.2 Bar indicates the force per unit area that is required to move the diesel fuel. Bar is a unit of pressure commonly used in the scientific and engineering fields.

4. How is the required Hp/Kw calculated for this scenario?

The required Hp/Kw can be calculated by taking into account the amount of diesel fuel being moved (1.5L/m) and the pressure needed to move it (17.2 Bar). This calculation involves using the formula P = Q x ΔP, where P is power (in Hp or Kw), Q is flow rate (in L/m), and ΔP is pressure (in Bar).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the required Hp/Kw?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the required Hp/Kw. These include the viscosity of the diesel fuel, the diameter and length of the pipes used for transportation, and any obstacles or friction that the fuel may encounter during its movement.