Huge insects destroy 40 foot tree

In summary: I'm not sure what the wings of these insects look like, but I doubt they would be easily identifiable as something different.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"I think they're some kind of mutant wasps,'' said Hanson after the 40-foot tree on her property fell down and revealed the creatures.

"I've never seen anything like them,'' she whooshed. "I've been on this farm for 43 years and the leaves on this tree were flourishing in July and something killed it.''

http://www.nj.com/news/bridgeton/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1064406308242640.xml

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
You'd think someone would have included a photo...
...that really bugs me!

Originally posted by BoulderHead
You'd think someone would have included a photo...
...that really bugs me!

I doubt there is really anything mysterious about the insects. What strikes me is a possible migration of a destructive insect into a new area. On the other hand, maybe she just never saw these bugs before by chance. Since it made the local paper, it seemed worth mentioning. Surely the locals would be aware of this bug were it indigenous to the area.

Well, I've never heard of such insects, so I'm most interested what such weird ones come from.

Last year or so there was an article in the San Diego paper about an infestation of super termites from the Philipines that was occurring in El Cajon, which is about 7-8 miles from San Diego proper. The danger of these termites was that they can wreck a house in one season, not like regular termites which take years to do the same damage.

I don't know where Milville is, but it sounds to me like it was these Philipine termites that killed this tree. The story about the El Cajon infestation didn't mention their appearance. As far as wings go I know that regular termite colonies produce a few waves of winged specimens twice a year who leave the colony in the hope of starting new colonies.

1. How do huge insects destroy a 40 foot tree?

Huge insects can destroy a 40 foot tree in a variety of ways. Some insects, such as wood-boring beetles, lay their eggs inside the tree, which hatch into larvae that feed on the tree's wood. This can weaken the structure of the tree and ultimately cause it to collapse. Other insects, like bark beetles, feed on the tree's bark, which can disrupt the flow of nutrients and water, leading to the tree's death.

2. What types of insects are capable of destroying a 40 foot tree?

There are several types of insects that are known to destroy trees. Some of the most common include wood-boring beetles, bark beetles, and termites. These insects have specialized feeding habits and can cause significant damage to trees if left unchecked.

3. Can a 40 foot tree be saved from insect damage?

It is possible to save a 40 foot tree from insect damage, but it depends on the severity of the infestation and the type of insect causing the damage. In some cases, professional treatment may be necessary to remove the insects and restore the health of the tree. It is important to act quickly if you notice signs of insect damage on your tree.

4. How can I prevent insects from destroying my 40 foot tree?

The best way to prevent insect damage to your 40 foot tree is to regularly inspect and maintain the health of the tree. This includes pruning dead or damaged branches, keeping the area around the tree clear of debris, and properly watering and fertilizing the tree. It is also important to identify and address any insect infestations early on to prevent them from causing significant damage.

5. Are there any natural ways to control insect populations and protect my 40 foot tree?

Yes, there are natural ways to control insect populations and protect your 40 foot tree. For example, introducing natural predators of the insects, such as birds or other beneficial insects, can help keep their populations in check. Additionally, using organic and natural pest control methods, such as neem oil or insecticidal soap, can also be effective in controlling insect populations without harming the tree or the environment.

Back