Huge problem with relation rates.

• Thread starter cd246
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, x^2+y^2=25 find dy/dt when x=3. dx/dt =4 and it says find the indicated rate and assume x>0 and y>0. However, when trying to solve for dy/dt at x=3, the student got confused and ended up with the wrong answer.
cd246

Homework Statement

I search all over my textbook and did not show any (simple) examples on relation rates(seriously). Well, The first problem is, x^2+y^2=25 find dy/dt when x=3. dx/dt =4 and it says find the indicated rate and assume x>0 and y>0

Homework Equations

I did my best considering the circumstances, I derived and got 2x(dx/dt)+2y(dy/dt)=0, applied 3 and got 6+2y=0 then 2y=-6 .

The Attempt at a Solution

Then divided and got -6/2y=-3y
The answer stated -3 so I guess I am close. With these, what is the difference between implicit diff. and relation rates? and what is the difference in steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, first just plug x=3 into x^2+y^2=25 and solve for y. Then implicitly differentiate x^2+y^2=25... you should end up with dy/dt=(-2x(dx/dt))/(2y) and you get dy/dt=-3. Frankly, I've only done related rates problems in the form of word problems, you just have to figure out from the wording, the equation you want to use and the givens.. then you get whatever else you need and finally implicitly differentiate
6+2y=0? why in the world did you get rid of dy/dt and dx/dt?

Last edited:
cd246 said:

Homework Statement

I search all over my textbook and did not show any (simple) examples on relation rates(seriously). Well, The first problem is, x^2+y^2=25 find dy/dt when x=3. dx/dt =4 and it says find the indicated rate and assume x>0 and y>0

Homework Equations

I did my best considering the circumstances, I derived and got 2x(dx/dt)+2y(dy/dt)=0, applied 3 and got 6+2y=0 then 2y=-6 .
that's wrong. you set the rates to one... why? at x=3 you have

6(dx/dt)+2y(dy/dt)=0

*not* 6+2y=0

so then, if (dx/dt) is 4 we have

6*(4)+2y*(dy/dt)=0

now all you have to do is to use the equation (x^2+y^2=25) to find y at x=3 and plug in above to find (dy/dt).

1. What is a "huge problem with relation rates"?

A "huge problem with relation rates" refers to a situation in which the rate at which two or more variables are related is significantly different from what would be expected or desired. This can occur in various fields of science, such as economics, biology, and sociology, and can have significant consequences.

2. How do scientists measure relation rates?

Scientists use various statistical methods to measure relation rates between variables, such as correlation coefficients, regression analysis, and ANOVA. These methods help determine the strength and direction of the relationship between variables and whether it is significant or not.

3. What factors can contribute to a huge problem with relation rates?

There can be many factors that contribute to a huge problem with relation rates, such as sampling bias, confounding variables, measurement error, and data manipulation. It is essential for scientists to carefully consider and control these factors when studying relationships between variables.

4. How can a huge problem with relation rates be addressed?

Addressing a huge problem with relation rates requires careful analysis and interpretation of data, as well as addressing any potential sources of error or bias. Scientists may also need to adjust their research methods or design new studies to better understand the relationship between variables.

5. What are the implications of a huge problem with relation rates?

A huge problem with relation rates can have significant implications, depending on the field of study and the variables involved. It can affect the validity and reliability of research findings, as well as impact decision-making and policy development. It is crucial for scientists to accurately assess and address any issues with relation rates to ensure the credibility of their work.