Huygens synchronization of two clocks

In summary, the two Portuguese scientists developed a math model of the synchronization of two clocks, and the experimental data has validated the model. They are now extending the model to include a model for matrix of "clocks".I want to know if the atoms can "synchronize" their quantum state by the exchange of quanta between them. It seems to me that both ways may be could be described by some similar math...
afcsimoes
This is the title of a new paper published by two Portuguese scientists (see http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150723/srep11548/full/srep11548.html or http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150723/srep11548/pdf/srep11548.pdf).

They developed a math model of the synchronization of the two clocks and the experimental data has validated the model.

Now they are extending their model. They expect to became to a model for matrix of "clocks".

My question is:
Is it possible that such a model could be used to explain also the behavior of ultra frozen helium atoms, when they synchronize their vibrational mode?

Physics news on Phys.org
afcsimoes said:
the behavior of ultra frozen helium atoms, when they synchronize their vibrational mode?
Do you have a reference for that?

mfb said:
Do you have a reference for that?

I have not. Those effect was presented in a scientific documentary see on TV.
Maybe you will find some useful refs. at
http://physics.aps.org/articles/v5/136
(Viewpoint: Helium Puddles Near Absolute Zero, by Francis M. Gasparini, Department of Physics, University at Buffalo, SUNY, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
December 3, 2012• Physics 5, 136, - He refers 10 articles)

I found the book at google books.

No idea what you mean with "when they synchronize their vibrational mode", however.

mfb said:
I found the book at google books.

No idea what you mean with "when they synchronize their vibrational mode", however.

I mean: in the first moment each atom has his own quantum state and after some time all them are at the same quantum state (and then I think they can be described as a single quantum entity).

At the TV documentary a scientist has presented a similar behavior of a set of little balls, all with the same radius and weight, floating at the surface of some liquid at a vat on a vibrational platform. After some time the balls auto rearranged in a lattice or grid pattern and with synchronous and isometric oscillations.

It seams to me that the math model of this system and the math model of the helium atoms could me similar.

afcsimoes said:
I mean: in the first moment each atom has his own quantum state and after some time all them are at the same quantum state (and then I think they can be described as a single quantum entity).
This has nothing to do with the effects discussed in the paper you mentioned in post 1.

mfb said:
This has nothing to do with the effects discussed in the paper you mentioned in post 1.

The two Huygens clocks synchronize because they exchange very thin energy pulses (sound waves through he shared support).
I want to know if the atoms can "synchronize" their quantum state by the exchange of quanta between them.
It seems to me that both ways may be could be described by some similar math...

afcsimoes said:
The two Huygens clocks synchronize because they exchange very thin energy pulses (sound waves through he shared support).
I want to know if the atoms can "synchronize" their quantum state by the exchange of quanta between them.
It seems to me that both ways may be could be described by some similar math...

You're thinking of a Bose-Einstein Condensate (BEC). You can read some of the formalism here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose–Einstein_condensate. The simplified model of Einstein's non-interacting gas is quite a friendly read.
But basically, the atoms aren't "synchronizing" like the clocks do, so much as all being forced into one state by virtue of not having any other options.

Likes afcsimoes
e.bar.goum said:
non-interacting gas

Please clarify this concept

afcsimoes said:
Please clarify this concept
It's kind of self-explanatory - a gas whose particles do not interact with each other. Think "ideal gas".

Likes afcsimoes
Likes afcsimoes
e.bar.goum said:
It's a somewhat simplified model, but it does ok to teach the concept. More sophisticated models are discussed further down the wiki page I linked you to.

ETA: the proper thing to do is to use the GPE. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross–Pitaevskii_equation

Thank you by your kind and patient answers. I regret to have not enough knowledge to fully understand all the equations. But I think that I have understand all the concepts involved.
I began this thread with some hope that the math models where the two Portuguese scientists are working, could describe the time evolution of some quantum system, eventually with more or less adaptation.

Thanks, again.

As what concerns me, you can close this thread.
Thank you and best regards

Interactions between particles in Bose-Einstein condensates are often problematic - especially three-particle interactions, which can lead to a (classical) condensation to a solid as the temperature is way below the boiling or melting points of the substance.
Cooling happens mainly via the interaction with external things.

Likes afcsimoes
mfb said:
Interactions between particles in Bose-Einstein condensates are often problematic - especially three-particle interactions, which can lead to a (classical) condensation to a solid as the temperature is way below the boiling or melting points of the substance.
Cooling happens mainly via the interaction with external things.

That is an experimental issue, right?
Theoretical treatment has not those difficulties, I suppose.
Do you know something about the works of Jacky Cresson ( http://jcresson.perso.univ-pau.fr/ ) and others ( e.g. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.93.030403 or 10.1103/PhysRevLett.93.030403 )
Scale calculus and the concept of space having a fractal nature can or not give us exact solutions instead of the probabilistic approach?

This is an experimental issue, right.
afcsimoes said:
Scale calculus and the concept of space having a fractal nature can or not give us exact solutions instead of the probabilistic approach?
Don't add even more unrelated concepts to the thread please.

Likes afcsimoes
mfb said:
This is an experimental issue, right.
Don't add even more unrelated concepts to the thread please.
Sorry. Thank you by the warning.

1. What is Huygens synchronization of two clocks?

Huygens synchronization is a method of synchronizing two clocks using a pendulum system. It was first proposed by Dutch scientist Christiaan Huygens in the 17th century.

2. How does Huygens synchronization work?

In this method, two clocks are placed close to each other and connected by a string or wire. The pendulums of both clocks will start to swing in unison due to the transfer of energy through the string, resulting in synchronized timekeeping.

3. What are the advantages of using Huygens synchronization?

Huygens synchronization is a simple and low-cost method of synchronizing clocks. It does not require any external power source and can maintain synchronization over long periods of time.

4. Are there any limitations to Huygens synchronization?

This method may not be suitable for precise timekeeping as the synchronization can be affected by external factors such as temperature and air resistance. Additionally, it may not be feasible for clocks that are not physically close to each other.

5. Is Huygens synchronization still used today?

Huygens synchronization is still used in some modern clock designs, but it has been largely replaced by more accurate methods such as electronic synchronization using atomic clocks.