HVAC /generator service mechanic should I pursue an electrical or mech

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
acmech
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have been doing HVAC for 15 years and generators for the last 3. I'm 37 and will be working full time as I go to school. I'm wondering though where I should focus my major yet I do have lots of time. Since I'm only taking 2 classes this semester to get my feet wet. An English writing class and an algebra class. I'm not sure if I should study electrical engineering or mechanical engineering. Both seem very interesting.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
acmech said:
I have been doing HVAC for 15 years and generators for the last 3. I'm 37 and will be working full time as I go to school. I'm wondering though where I should focus my major yet I do have lots of time. Since I'm only taking 2 classes this semester to get my feet wet. An English writing class and an algebra class. I'm not sure if I should study electrical engineering or mechanical engineering. Both seem very interesting.

Welcome to the PF.

At many 4-year colleges, you don't need to declare which engineering specialty you will pursue until after your 2nd year. The courses the first 2 years are pretty much the same for each engineering discipline. Is your school like that?
 
I'm going to community college. I'm not really sure I am starting school next Tuesday sept 2nd. I'm excited yet nervous since I am 37. I wish I could get this done in 4 years. I'm working as a service technician that does a lot of overtime. I want to learn as much as I can in the classes so I was going to take 2 classes a semester. Then 1 class each summer semester. I'm just trying to figure out, what's best with my work experience.
 
acmech said:
I'm going to community college. I'm not really sure I am starting school next Tuesday sept 2nd. I'm excited yet nervous since I am 37. I wish I could get this done in 4 years. I'm working as a service technician that does a lot of overtime. I want to learn as much as I can in the classes so I was going to take 2 classes a semester. Then 1 class each summer semester. I'm just trying to figure out, what's best with my work experience.

You can check with their counselors about whether you specialize in those 2 years. Is your plan to just do the 2-year degree, or to go on to finish your 4-year EE/ME degree at a university after you graduate from the community college?
 
Both elec and mech engineering are interesting. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Like Berkeman says, the curriculum is the same for both the first year and even somewhat similar the second year.
So you have time to decide.

Everything from electrical and mechanical engineering all tie together...in fact all engineering disciplines tie together. It's actually quite amazing that someone figured that all out. Mind boggling might be a better description.

Writing and algebra are just going to prepare you for the first year of college. Engineering math begins at Calculus.
Don't be scared by calculus. You can only add, subtract, multiply or divide like any other math. And realistically, the hardest part of calculus...is the algebra! Like anthing else, there is step 1, step 2, step 3...etc. Always a way to get to the answer or solution.

Good luck.
 
acmech said:
I'm going to community college. I'm not really sure I am starting school next Tuesday sept 2nd. I'm excited yet nervous since I am 37. I wish I could get this done in 4 years. I'm working as a service technician that does a lot of overtime. I want to learn as much as I can in the classes so I was going to take 2 classes a semester. Then 1 class each summer semester. I'm just trying to figure out, what's best with my work experience.

I have somewhat the same experience, I'm 25, diesel mechanic, have a kid. Just started college summer 2013 semester. summer was 2 in class classes. Then in the fall and spring i took 1 night class (bio and physical science) 1 day class (college algebra and trig) and 2 online gen eds. Its still going to take me 5 years to complete a 4 year degree. I believe the only way i have kept up with all of it so far is staying ahead of the class. I learned college algebra when i was in intermediate, and i learned trig when i was in college algebra, and i somewhat learned calculus1 while in trig. this semester I am enrolled in full time class and part time work. I had to take out some loans to do this. but as course load increases in difficulty. I don't think school full time and work full time is doable in most cases for the average guy. especially since my cc doesn't have calc or physics at night or summer. so i would have to pick 1 or the other per semester. Just a little bit of my recent experience.