Hybrid Combined Cycles: Using Biomass to Improve Efficiency

• Thread starter exergetic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycles
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the use of biomass as a supplementary fuel in hybrid combined cycle (HCC) power plants to improve efficiency. The individual was looking for case studies and references on this topic, and was advised to search scientific databases and energy company websites. Two notable examples of HCC plants that use biomass were mentioned, and the individual was encouraged to reach out to experts for further guidance.
exergetic
Hi everybody,
I'm working on my thesis regarding hybrid combined cycles(HCC),that is combined cycles with supplementary firing on the bottoming cycle to improve the overall efficiency.
My focus is on the possibility of use biomass as supplementary fuel in this types of plants.
I'm looking around to find some case studies about this subject, but it's not easy to find references about these arguments on scientific literature.
Can anyone help me? Anyone knows if there's any energy companies involved in development of this kind of projects? ?Every suggestion or link are welcome, even about these arguments generally.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I don't know if I posted this topic in correct section.Do I move it to "General Engineering" section?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in hybrid combined cycles (HCC) and the use of biomass as supplementary fuel in these plants. As a scientist in this field, I would be happy to provide some information and guidance.

Firstly, I would recommend searching for articles and studies on HCC and biomass in scientific databases such as Google Scholar, ScienceDirect, or IEEE Xplore. These databases contain a wide range of peer-reviewed articles and studies on various topics, including energy systems and biomass utilization.

Some potential keywords to use in your search could be "hybrid combined cycles," "biomass," "supplementary fuel," and "efficiency." This should help to narrow down your results and find relevant studies.

Additionally, you can also look for articles and reports on the websites of energy companies that are involved in the development of HCC projects. Some examples of companies that have worked on HCC projects include GE, Siemens, and Mitsubishi Power.

In terms of case studies, there are a few notable examples of HCC plants that use biomass as a supplementary fuel. One is the 280 MW EcoElectrica plant in Puerto Rico, which uses a combination of natural gas and biomass to generate electricity. Another is the 150 MW Alholmens Kraft plant in Finland, which is the world's largest biomass-fired HCC power plant.

I hope this information helps you in your research. If you have any further questions or need more specific guidance, please feel free to reach out to me or other experts in this field for assistance.

Best of luck with your thesis!

Related to Hybrid Combined Cycles: Using Biomass to Improve Efficiency

1. What is a hybrid combined cycle?

A hybrid combined cycle is a type of power plant that combines a gas turbine and a steam turbine to generate electricity. The gas turbine burns fuel, such as natural gas, to turn a generator and produce electricity. The waste heat from the gas turbine is then used to produce steam, which powers a steam turbine to generate additional electricity.

2. How does using biomass improve the efficiency of a hybrid combined cycle?

Biomass, such as wood chips or agricultural waste, can be used as a fuel source in the gas turbine portion of a hybrid combined cycle. This can increase the overall efficiency of the plant as biomass is a renewable and carbon-neutral energy source. Additionally, the waste heat from the gasification process can be used to produce steam, further improving the efficiency of the plant.

3. What are the benefits of using a hybrid combined cycle with biomass?

The use of a hybrid combined cycle with biomass has several benefits. It can help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, as biomass is a renewable and carbon-neutral energy source. It also diversifies the energy mix, reducing dependence on traditional fossil fuels. Additionally, using biomass can help to lower energy costs, as it is often a cheaper fuel source compared to natural gas or coal.

4. Are there any challenges associated with using biomass in a hybrid combined cycle?

One of the main challenges of using biomass in a hybrid combined cycle is ensuring a consistent and reliable supply of fuel. This requires proper storage and handling facilities, as well as a steady supply of biomass. There may also be technical challenges in integrating biomass with the existing gas turbine and steam turbine systems.

5. Is hybrid combined cycle technology with biomass widely used in power generation?

While hybrid combined cycle technology with biomass is gaining popularity, it is not yet widely used in power generation. However, there are several pilot projects and demonstration plants around the world that are successfully using this technology. As the demand for renewable energy sources increases, it is likely that the use of hybrid combined cycle with biomass will also grow.