Non-Electric/Gas Water Pumping in Africa: Hydro Ram?

• Thread starter bhoke81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram Water
In summary, you are looking for a non-electric, non-gas water pumping application in Africa. You have design information and have learned that the pump needs to be lower than the drive pipe. Your land goes up to the water's edge and drops 12 feet, and you are wondering if a hydro ram pump will work or if there are other options. A website and video are provided for more information, and it is suggested to look into paddle wheel water pumps or the Archimedes screw. More details about the location would be helpful in finding a suitable solution.
bhoke81
I am in Africa and need an non electric non gas water pumping application. I have design information and what I have been reading is that the pump needs to be lower than the drive pipe. I am trying to pump water up 12 vertical feet from a river. There is no bank and my land goes to up to the waters edge and drops 12ft. Will a hydro ram pump work? If not are there any other non gas no electric options.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the pump needs to be lower than the drive pipe. This is a good website covering the basics http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/equip/ram.htm

Not knowing the details of your site makes it difficult to provide a detailed answer. However, here is a clip showing a design that might fit your needs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCt-EHQQvs&feature=related

How wide is the river? If you can position a cable across the river, that could be used to position a number of paddle wheel water pump options. Also, here is a clip on the Archimedes screw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gq3Vm4vifU&NR=1

More detail on the situation would help.

What is a hydro ram and how does it work?

A hydro ram, also known as a hydraulic ram pump, is a non-electric water pumping device that uses the power of flowing water to lift a portion of that water to a higher elevation. It works by utilizing the principles of water hammer and the law of conservation of energy.

Why is hydro ram technology useful in Africa?

Hydro ram technology is useful in Africa because it provides a cost-effective and sustainable solution for accessing clean water in remote and rural areas where electricity and gas may not be readily available. It also requires minimal maintenance and can operate for many years without the need for fuel or electricity.

What are the advantages of using a hydro ram over traditional water pumps?

One advantage of using a hydro ram over traditional water pumps is that it does not require any external power source, making it more affordable and accessible for communities in Africa. It also has a simple design and is easy to install, operate, and maintain. Additionally, hydro ram pumps do not emit any pollutants, making them environmentally friendly.

Are there any limitations to using hydro ram technology in Africa?

One limitation of hydro ram technology is that it requires a constant and reliable source of flowing water to operate effectively. Additionally, the water source must be located at a higher elevation than the desired delivery point. These limitations may make it unsuitable for certain locations in Africa.

Can hydro ram technology be used for other purposes besides water pumping?

Yes, hydro ram technology can also be used for other purposes such as irrigation, livestock watering, and small-scale hydroelectric power generation. This makes it a versatile and valuable technology for communities in Africa that may have multiple needs beyond just water pumping.