Hydrogen Degeneracy: Qualitative Explanation

In summary: This is a great summary, thank you!In summary, the 1/r nature of the coulomb potential is the reason why all the states with the same n and different l have the same energy. The degeneracy is called accidental to differentiate it from the essential degeneracy of the 2l+1 states with the same l but different m. This essential degeneracy is due to the rotational invariance of any central potential. This leads me to believe that the atoms with one electron maintain the degeneracy, while those with full shells + 1 don't because the electron shielding will alter the 1/r potential.
Allday
The hydrogen energy levels (when only considering the coulomb field of an infinitely massive proton - or when using the reduced mass for the electron) only depend on the principle quantum number n. Can someone give me a qualitative argument why the orbital angular momentum quantum number l doesn't come into play here?

related questions:

do hydrogen like atoms (ionized to the point of having only one electron but containing more than one proton) break this degeneracy between the different orbital angular momentum states?

do atoms with the same number of protons and electrons, but with one electron outside of completely full shells break this degeneracy?

gonna read some and see if i can find the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It turns out the 1/r nature of the coulomb potential is the reason why all the states with the same n and different l have the same energy. The degeneracy is called accidental to differentiate it from the essential degeneracy of the 2l+1 states with the same l but different m. This essential degeneracy is due to the rotational invariance of any central potential.

This leads me to believe that the atoms with one electron maintain the degeneracy, while those with full shells + 1 don't because the electron shielding will alter the 1/r potential.

Last edited:
The "accidental" degeneracy is due to a conserved quantity corresponding to a symmetry of the system via quantum Noether theorem.

See https://faculty.washington.edu/seattle/physics324/Lenz.pdf for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link to the paper dextercioby. I remember learning about that Lenz vector when I was doing classical mechanics orbits. Interesting to see its quantum equivalent in play. I think it would be nice if they included a discussion of this in more of the standard quantum books.

I've seen this issue treated in some lecture notes before, but i can't remember any textbook author discussing it.

1. What is hydrogen degeneracy?

Hydrogen degeneracy is a quantum mechanical phenomenon that occurs in the core of a star when the pressure and temperature become high enough to force the electrons in hydrogen atoms into higher energy states. This results in the electrons becoming tightly packed together, causing the hydrogen gas to behave more like a solid than a gas.

2. How does hydrogen degeneracy affect the properties of a star?

Hydrogen degeneracy causes the core of a star to become highly compressed and dense, which increases the core temperature and pressure. This leads to a higher rate of nuclear fusion, which is the process that powers the star and allows it to maintain its size and stability.

3. What is the significance of hydrogen degeneracy in stellar evolution?

Hydrogen degeneracy plays a crucial role in the later stages of stellar evolution, as it helps to regulate the rate of nuclear fusion and prevent the star from collapsing under its own gravity. It also contributes to the production of heavier elements in the star's core through fusion reactions.

4. How is hydrogen degeneracy related to the Chandrasekhar limit?

The Chandrasekhar limit is the maximum mass that a white dwarf star can have before it collapses into a neutron star or black hole. Hydrogen degeneracy is one of the factors that contribute to this limit, as it increases the pressure and density in the white dwarf's core, making it more susceptible to collapse.

5. Can hydrogen degeneracy occur in other elements besides hydrogen?

Yes, hydrogen degeneracy can occur in other elements with low atomic numbers such as helium, but it becomes more significant as the atomic number decreases. Other elements with higher atomic numbers have stronger electron-electron repulsion, making degeneracy less likely to occur.