1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic functions and its tangent

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1
    Just wanna check my answer.

Find the equation of the tangent to the curve [tex]y^3 + x^2 \cosh y + \sinh^3 x = 8[/tex] at the point (0, 2)

I firstly found the derivative and the gradient of the curve at point (0, 2)

[tex]3y^2 \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} + x \cosh y + x^2 \sinh y \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} + 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} (3y^2 + x^2 \sinh y) = - x \cosh y - 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{- x \cosh y - 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x}{3y^2 + x^2 \sinh y}[/tex]

Substitute [tex]x = 0\ \mbox{and}\ y = 2[/tex] into the equation and I get a gradient of 0 at point (0, 2).

[tex]\begin{align*}
    y - 2 = 0 (x - 0) \\
    \Rightarrow y = 2
    \end{align*}[/tex]

Therefore, the equation of the tangent at point (0, 2) is [tex]y = 2[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

You missed a 2 coeff on the xcoshy term in the first step, I fixed it in the quote: you answer is correct however.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?