Hypothesis testing for ratio estimation

In summary, the conversation is about estimating an animal population's health based on its weight to length ratio. The question is whether the change in the ratio is significant or due to sampling error. The conversation also discusses the use of hypothesis testing, such as ANOVA, and the comparison of means. The conversation also touches on the use of regression analysis and the possibility of using TeX/LaTeX for equations. Overall, the conversation is focused on determining the significance of the changes in the weight to length ratio and the best approach to do so.
finn5000

Homework Statement

Hi, this is a stats question, hope I'm asking it in the right place.

I am estimating an animal populations health based on it's weight to length ratio, I have a population ratio (10grams/cm) from 5 years ago and a sample estimate made from recently gathered data.

I am wanting to be able to say if the changed weight to legth ratio is of any significance or just due to sampling error.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I be doing hypothesis testing such as ANOVA... I thought that was just for comparing means? Or is there another type of variance comparison I can do?
Is it enough if the confidence intervals of estimates overlap to say there is no significant variation between the two?

Cheers,

Finn

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
What level is this to be done at?

If the only figure you have to compare is itself a mean then you pretty much have to compare means. How much work you need to do really depends on who it is for.

Hi,
It is for a third year under grad stats paper.
I have two scatter plots of data, one for the "5 years ago" data set and one for the "present" data set. each is plotting SVL vs Weight. I have fit a regression line for both data sets when the two plots are overlaid the regression lines are quite different.
So its not so much means as the two regression lines that I want to determine significant difference in, isn't ratio estimation a form of regression analysis?... does that make sense?

I tried to copy some of the formula I've been using for similar questions to give an Idea of what sort of estimators etc I'm using but they turned into weird code when I pasted them? is it possiple to insert wquations into the posts?

Any further help would be great.

Cheers,

is it possiple to insert wquations into the posts?
You can use TeX markup. eg - the normal distribution:
[tex]f(x;\mu,\sigma) = \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}
e^{ -\frac{1}{2} \left ( \frac{x-\mu}{\sigma} \right )^2}[/tex] (quote me to see how I did it). If you don't know TeX/LaTeX you should learn, especially if you are planning on grad school.

Since this is third year stats your courses to date will have included methods for hypothesis testing using arbitrary distributions. Use those. I'd automatically think of the Chi-squared test but you will have seen others by now.

Comparing the ratios pretty much amounts to comparing human BMI - you'll be able to test if the modern population is generally heavier or lighter for their length and it gives you only one dimension to deal with. I'm afraid you'll have to decide if it is the appropriate thing to do in the context of your coursework to date.

Making these judgement calls is one of the skills you have to learn.

How you do the comparison depends on what kind of thing you want to comment on - if you want to be able to say that the population is, overall, of better or worse health these days then you need to establish weight/length regions which constitute good or bad health like the height/weight charts you see in doctors offices. You want to be able to say that the new sample is significantly different from the old one then you need to take the shape of the distribution into account.

As soon as you identify the hypothesis you are testing, the test to use should become clear.

Thanks for the advice, I think I have it sorted now.
Also Cheers for showing me TeX/LaTeX, I wasn't aware of it, looks really useful!

No worries - I've been noticing that the higher up the education ladder someone is the less technical my responses become - probably because I can rely on the competence of the recipient :)

LaTeX is the standard for academic typesetting and second to none when it comes to getting math rendered. The (not so) short introduction to LaTeX is the canonical reference and covers the whole thing. There are tips and tutorials all over the interwebs. Enjoy.

What is hypothesis testing for ratio estimation?

Hypothesis testing for ratio estimation is a statistical method used to determine whether there is a significant difference between two population proportions or ratios. It involves testing a null hypothesis, which states that there is no difference between the two ratios, against an alternative hypothesis, which states that there is a difference.

What is the purpose of hypothesis testing for ratio estimation?

The purpose of hypothesis testing for ratio estimation is to determine if the difference between two ratios is statistically significant. This can help researchers make informed decisions and draw conclusions about the population based on the sample data.

How is hypothesis testing for ratio estimation conducted?

Hypothesis testing for ratio estimation involves several steps: 1) State the null and alternative hypotheses, 2) Choose a significance level, 3) Calculate the test statistic, 4) Determine the critical value or p-value, 5) Compare the test statistic to the critical value or p-value, and 6) Make a decision to either reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis.

What are the potential limitations of hypothesis testing for ratio estimation?

One limitation of hypothesis testing for ratio estimation is that it only provides information about the difference between two ratios, and not the magnitude of the difference. Additionally, it assumes that the sample data is representative of the entire population, which may not always be the case.

What are some examples of when hypothesis testing for ratio estimation is used?

Hypothesis testing for ratio estimation can be used in various fields, such as market research, public health, and social sciences. For example, it can be used to determine if there is a significant difference in the proportion of people who prefer one brand of product over another, or to compare the proportion of individuals in different age groups who have a certain medical condition.