1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypothetical 'black hole'/electron atom

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been asked to consider an atom formed between an electron and 'black hole' i.e. a point singularity with mass and no charge. I should find the mass of the black hole Mh such that the energy levels of this atom would be identical to the energy levels of a hydrogen atom

I'm fairly sure I can calculate a mass that would give the same energy of the n=1 orbital (13.6eV) at the Bohr radius a0 by considering gravitational rather than EM interactions, but I'm having difficulty grasping the notion of quantised gravitational orbits. Are all 'energy levels' quantised?

Cheers guys
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are maybe thinking there are complications here when there aren't. When you solve schrodingers equation for the hydrogen atom, you aren't quantizing the EM field. You are only quantizing the electron. The field itself is a classical electric field. There isn't any problem replacing that with a gravitational field that generates the same inverse square potential. No need to do quantum gravity.
  4. May 15, 2008 #3
    I always end up doing that! It's the 'levels' aspect of it that threw me. Got a reasonable value out of it now, thanks Dick
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?