Hysteresis curves and energy loss

In summary, the conversation is discussing the function and effects of a transformer. It is mentioned that an AC current is supplied to a primary coil, which induces an oscillating flux in the core. This can lead to energy loss due to hysteresis and eddy currents. The hysteresis curve reflects the energy loss per unit volume of the core, but it is unclear if it includes both hysteresis loss and I^2R dissipation, or just the energy required to flip the domains. It is also noted that the hysteresis curve remains unchanged due to the iron in the core, and the I^2R eddy current loss is similar to that in the secondary circuit.
jdstokes
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with this subject and I was wondering if anyone could confirm/comment on my understanding.

As I understand it, in a typical transformer, an AC current is supplied to a primary coil which induces an oscillating flux within the core. If the core is made of a ferromagnetic material, then there is an energy loss due to the work required to reverse domain orientation in each cycle of the hysteresis curve. In non-ideal ferromagnets, eddy currents are also induced within the core, which, by Lenz's law, act to lower the applied magnetic field which created them. Hence if the oscillator frequency is increased, more eddy currents are induced in the core lowering the effect of the applied field and thus increasing the coercive force. The associated energy loss due to I^2 R heating is reflected in the widening of the hysteresis curve, the area of which corresponds to the energy loss per unit volume of the core in each cycle. This point I am particularly unsure on, does the area enclosed by the hysteresis curve correspond to the total energy loss (hysteresis loss + I^2 R dissipation) or just the energy required to flip the domains?

Thanks

James

Physics news on Phys.org
The hysteresis curve depends on the iron in the core, and is unchanged.
The I^2R eddy current loss is just like I^2R loss iln the secondary circuit.

1. What is a hysteresis curve?

A hysteresis curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between two variables, where one variable depends on the other. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of a system that exhibits hysteresis, which is the dependence of the system's output on its past inputs.

2. How is energy loss related to hysteresis curves?

Hysteresis curves are often used to measure energy loss in a system. This is because hysteresis curves show the amount of energy needed to overcome the resistance of a system, and the area between the curve and the x-axis represents the energy dissipated as heat.

3. What factors affect the shape of a hysteresis curve?

The shape of a hysteresis curve is affected by a variety of factors, including the material of the system, the geometry of the system, and external factors such as temperature and magnetic fields. In general, materials with higher resistance and stiffness tend to have narrower hysteresis curves.

4. How is hysteresis used in engineering applications?

Hysteresis curves are commonly used in engineering to analyze and design systems that exhibit hysteresis. For example, they are used in the development of magnetic materials for electric motors and in the design of control systems for mechanical and electrical systems.

5. Can hysteresis curves be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Hysteresis curves can provide valuable information about the behavior of a system, but they cannot predict the exact behavior of a system. This is because hysteresis curves are based on past inputs and do not take into account external factors that may affect the system in the future.