1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hysteresis loop

1. Dec 16, 2013 #1
    Wide/Narrow Hysteresis loops, what's the difference?

When calculating the work done to magnetize a ferromagnetic material, calculating the hysteresis loop is the right way?
    I know the narrower loop(soft) needs less energy(work) to magnetize or demagnetize it is that true?
    That's why it's best to use Soft ferromagnetic materials to minimize losses in energy etc...?

image004.jpg

What is the importance of coercivity? It determines the "area" of the hysteresis loop?
    Iron = 160 A/m
    samarium-cobalt = 3.2 x 106

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Dash-IQ! :smile:
    Yes, the area inside the hysteresis loop shows exactly the amount of the work done in one cycle. :wink:
    I'm not familiar with coercivity … i thought it was just another word for "softness"? :confused:

Can anyone else answer this? o:)

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    i want a b-h curve of a 20kv/400v transformer in maxwell software....any body help me???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook