I am looking into calculating the weld bead strength. I am unsure of

  • Thread starter Thread starter vanuta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bead Strength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
vanuta
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am looking into calculating the weld bead strength. I am unsure of calculating the shear stress..the attachment has a drawing..any help is appreciated
 
Attachments
Engineering news on Phys.org
vanuta: (1) Is angle beta in the xy plane? Or not in the xy plane?

(2) Why do you call alphay a normal stress, when it looks like you are using a shear force, F*cos(beta), to compute alphay?

(3) Why do you use cos(beta) to compute alphay?

(4) I am not yet confident that you have drawn the applied force, F, as it really occurs on the real assembly. Please draw a correct, quick, freehand sketch of the assembly, showing how and where the applied force(s), such as F, are really applied. And show the x, y, and z dimensions to the point of application of the applied force(s) (and applied moment(s), if any), so that we can really see how your joint is loaded.