I am not understanding this differential relationship

In summary, the first chapter of the engineering dynamics textbook discusses the equations for velocity and acceleration (v = ds/dt and a = dv/dt). It then introduces a third equation, a ds = v dv, which is derived by combining the first two equations and eliminating dt. This can be done using the chain rule, where a = dv/dt = (dv/ds)(ds/dt) = (dv/ds)v. Therefore, the equation a ds = v dv can be rewritten as ds/v = dv/a.
mindheavy
I'm studying engineering dynamics. The first chapter is discussing the velocity and acceleration equations; v = ds/dt and a = dv/dt. It then goes on to show a third equation that is stated as "a ds = v dv". They say they derived this equation by combining the two previous and 'eliminating dt'. I am just not seeing how they arrived at this, what are the intermediate steps? I also am not understanding the reason for just 'eliminating' dt. Could anyone develop this or help me along my way of understanding how this third equation was reached, I feel very uncomfortable just memorizing it without understanding where it came from...

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much solve as you would any other equation, the like term is dt, so it can be eliminated.

get both in terms of dt = something, then set equal to eliminate the term.

[itex]\frac{dv}{a} = \frac{ds}{v}[/itex]
[itex]vdv = a ds[/itex]

You can "eliminate the dt" by using the chain rule, a= dv/dt= (dv/ds)(ds/dt)= (dv/ds)v

From a/v= dv/ds, we get ads= vdv or, equivalently, ds/v= dv/a

Thanks for the reply saminator910 & HallsofIvy, very helpful!

1. What does "differential relationship" mean?

The term "differential relationship" refers to a mathematical relationship between two variables where the rate of change of one variable affects the rate of change of the other variable.

2. Why is it important to understand differential relationships?

Understanding differential relationships is important because it allows us to analyze how changes in one variable affect another variable. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, biology, and economics.

3. How do you determine the type of differential relationship between two variables?

The type of differential relationship between two variables can be determined by examining the pattern of their rates of change. This can be done by plotting the variables on a graph and looking at the slope of the line connecting the points.

4. Can differential relationships change over time?

Yes, differential relationships can change over time. This can happen if the factors that affect the relationship change or if new variables are introduced.

5. How can differential relationships be used in real-world applications?

Differential relationships have many real-world applications, such as predicting population growth, analyzing economic trends, and understanding how medications affect the body. They can also be used to make predictions and inform decision-making in various fields.