Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am stupid, tell me how to create documents with LaTeX.

Tags:
  1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    I want to create documents using LaTeX.

I have:
    MiKTeX
    TeXnicCenter
    Ghostscript
    GSview
    Mathtype v. 5.0

I want to create documents, but I have no idea how to start, this all seems foreign to me. Assume I am a stupid High School Sophmore who doesn't know anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2
    Assuming that you already installed the programs you mentioned, you can write the following in the TeXnixCenter editor and begin:

Code (Text):
    \documentclass{article}
    \begin{document}
    %your data here
    \end{document}
    If you know nothing about Latex, and how to write equations using it, then you have to have a user manual from the Internet. Actually, the Latex has many packages, each of which has its own manual.

Refer to the following link http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Absolute_Beginners" [Broken], please.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    Can I ask a quick follow-on question: is LaTeX seen as essential for graduate students in the physics/mathematics area? I still have not learnt it...

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4

Hepth

Gold Member

Yes it is essential if you ever plan on writing some papers or a thesis. Its not that hard to learn.
    In windows I prefer LED the best for an editor.

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5

minger

Science Advisor

I would disagree with Hepth. Most people that I see unfortunately still use Word or something else. Having said that, I used latex and have highly recommended it to anyone writing a thesis. Let's be honest, it's just a drop in the pond of time required to write it. You might as well do it right, plus it will eventually save you a CRAPLOAD of time writing equations and cross-referencing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook