Trying to understand magnetic pump

In summary, a magnetic pump uses two magnetic fields to create a downwards force on the molten sodium so it can move. This is why it is important to have two fields, one for current and one for the magnetic force, to create the desired effect.
sf2k
I'm confused how a magnetic pump works as described in my text. I'll quote:

"""Liquid metals, such as the molten sodium used in certain nuclear reactors, can be moved through pipes using an electromagnetic pump that has no moving parts. If the metal has to be moved in a pipe that is orientated north-south, for example, a large electric current can be sent across the pipe --east to west perhaps. Then, if a strong magnetic field is directed downward through the same section of pipe, the current-carrying metal will be forced to move southward"""

This appears to be two magnetic fields, one crossing the pipe also in a horizontal plane to the current, and the other magnetic field directed downward perpendicular to the pipe direction. But I don't understand why you need two.

My understanding so far:

First Field: If the current is across the pipe east to west, right to left, and the magnetic fields are circular moving north-south along the pipe, the force is already downwards in a vertical sense and not down the pipe.

Second Field: A second field vertically downward apparently moves the molten sodium if the force is also southward.

I thought that magnetic fields did not interfere with charge, so I'm not following how the molten sodium itself actually moves at all. Why does this need two magnetic fields?

Thanks for any understanding.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sf2k-
The force is called the Lorentz force. The force F is the vector cross product of the current I and the magnetic field B.

F = I x B

The force is perpenducular to the plane containing the current and the magnetic field.
Here is a nice website with a visual java applet. Click on the knife switch to make it close and open:

http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/education/tutorials/java/lorentzforce/index.html

Bob S

Last edited:
First off thanks for the link and a very nice reply!

Ok, so in one case the first magnetic field has a Lorentz force vertically down and the other Lorentz force is in the plane of direction to move the molten sodium. Where I'm not following is why there needs to be two fields to move the sodium? And how can it move at all if there are two forces in perpendicular to each other?

sf2k said:
First off thanks for the link and a very nice reply!

Ok, so in one case the first magnetic field has a Lorentz force vertically down and the other Lorentz force is in the plane of direction to move the molten sodium. Where I'm not following is why there needs to be two fields to move the sodium? And how can it move at all if there are two forces in perpendicular to each other?
The "magic" in the Lorentz force is that the force is perpendicular to the plane in which both the current and magnetic field vectors lie. The current and magnetic field vectors cannot be parallel. Only the mutually perpendicular component of B and I is important (vector cross product). You need only one current and one magnetic field to create a force. By reversing the current, you can reverse the direction of the force.
Bob S

Last edited:
yes thank you. I"m sorry if I'm not clear.

I know that both the current and the magnetic field are in the same plane but 90 degrees apart while the force is perpendicular 90 degrees to their plane. like x,y, and z.

however the magnetic pump needs two such magnetic fields and not one. With only one's force used to move the molten sodium. So it's really an issue of understanding the forces that move the sodium along and why I need two magnetic fields to accomplish this in a magnetic pump.

Last edited:

FAQ: Trying to understand magnetic pump

What is a magnetic pump and how does it work?

A magnetic pump is a type of pump that uses the power of magnets to move fluid through a system. The pump consists of a rotating impeller, which is magnetically coupled to an external drive magnet. When the drive magnet rotates, it causes the impeller to also rotate, creating a magnetic field that drives the fluid through the pump without the need for any physical contact between the impeller and the drive magnet.

What are the advantages of using a magnetic pump?

There are several advantages of using a magnetic pump over traditional pumps. Firstly, since there is no physical contact between the impeller and the drive magnet, there is no risk of leakage or contamination from the pump. This makes magnetic pumps ideal for handling corrosive or hazardous fluids. Additionally, magnetic pumps are more efficient, have a longer lifespan, and require less maintenance compared to traditional pumps.

What are the different types of magnetic pumps?

There are two main types of magnetic pumps: centrifugal and positive displacement. Centrifugal magnetic pumps use centrifugal force to move the fluid, while positive displacement pumps use a series of rotating gears or rollers to push the fluid through the system. Centrifugal pumps are more commonly used for high flow, low-pressure applications, while positive displacement pumps are better suited for low flow, high-pressure applications.

What are the limitations of magnetic pumps?

One major limitation of magnetic pumps is their inability to handle high temperatures. Since the magnets used in the pump can lose their strength at high temperatures, magnetic pumps are not suitable for applications where the fluid temperature exceeds 300°F. Additionally, magnetic pumps are not recommended for pumping solids or highly viscous fluids, as these can cause the impeller to clog or fail.

What are some common applications of magnetic pumps?

Magnetic pumps are commonly used in a variety of industries, including chemical processing, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and wastewater treatment. They are also widely used in medical and laboratory settings, as well as in electronic cooling systems. Magnetic pumps are ideal for applications that require a leak-free and contamination-free pumping solution.