1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't remember what type of differential equation this is or how to solve it

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a differential equation of the form:
    dA/dx = ab + kA

and I need to solve it

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've started it by moving the right hand side of the equation to the bottom of the left hand side and the bottom of the left to the right. I can recognise that this will probably take the form of an exponential in the final answer, but I can't see how you get to that as the bottom of the l.h.s isn't a simple function of A. How do I go about solving this kind of DE? Is it the same as if it didnt have the constant terms in it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are k,a, and b constants?...If so your equation is separable...just multiply both sides by dx/(ab+kA)...what do you see?

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Yeah I think I worked out how to do it on my walk home from uni - I think I'd forgotten how to integrate functions of the type 1/(x+1) which I can now see it is!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?