I can't remember what type of differential equation this is or how to solve it

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Brewer
Messages
203
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a differential equation of the form:
dA/dx = ab + kA

and I need to solve it


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I've started it by moving the right hand side of the equation to the bottom of the left hand side and the bottom of the left to the right. I can recognise that this will probably take the form of an exponential in the final answer, but I can't see how you get to that as the bottom of the l.h.s isn't a simple function of A. How do I go about solving this kind of DE? Is it the same as if it didnt have the constant terms in it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are k,a, and b constants?...If so your equation is separable...just multiply both sides by dx/(ab+kA)...what do you see?
 
Yeah I think I worked out how to do it on my walk home from uni - I think I'd forgotten how to integrate functions of the type 1/(x+1) which I can now see it is!